Roym

414-8 no lights

Roym

Hello 

I recently aquired a 1989 414-8 with 1300 hours  on the meter,  The headlights are not working and there is a dark green wire with a female lead hanging in front of and below the battery compartment coming from the front of the tractor which is not attached to anything. With the length of this wire I cannot see what it could attach to.  I have cleaned all ground connections, installed new 15 amp fuses (they no longer blow when I attempt to turn the lights on at the switch ???), tested the headlights themselves, bypassed the light switch, and installed a grounded led fixture as a taillight where there were reflectors installed with grommets. I am thinking (not being experienced at this) that the ignition switch may be next in line but that hanging wire is driving me a little crazy. Any suggestions ?? Thank you 

pfrederi

Welcome to red square.

Wiring diagrams for you r 414-8 are here  click on the tractor picture

414.JPG

light.JPG

WHX??

:WRS:

Is there a way to trace the wire back to it's point of origin.

Guessing you have a multi meter or simple 12v tester is there power on that lead to ground with the headlight and/or light switch in the on positions?

953 nut

:WRS:

3 hours ago, Roym said:

I am thinking (not being experienced at this) that the ignition switch may be next in line

If your volt meter and/or hour meter are working with the key in the "ON/RUN" position then the ignition switch and 15 amp fuse are OK. Is there power to and from the light switch?

Roym

Thank you for your responses and the welcome. I have a 12 volt tester and will check power from ignition switch to light switch and from switch to lights as well as the “mystery” wire which I will attempt to track back to its origin.

• Thanks 1

Roym

Sorry for the delay getting back here but the cold has been unbearable in my unseated shed. I cleaned all grounds and the switch

terminals and wired and grounded a rear light. The rear light worked off the switch but the front lights didn’t so I will replace the wire from the switch to the front lamps and hope they work.

• Thanks 1

squonk

Make sure your hood is grounded! 

• Like 1

Roym

Thanks Mike, I will check that first thing in the am

Roy

Roym

Mike

You were on the money. I replaced the hood to chassis ground and..........lights front and rear! Thank you for the advice. I deeply appreciate your insight and this forum.

Royals