ebinmaine

What modern "convenience" do you really like?

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

20 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Sporks :teasing-tease:

• Confused 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

If it wasn't for fermentation, civilization as we know it may be in jeopardy.  :occasion-xmas:

You talking about the grapes in your cellar here or what Dino?? :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

cafoose
5 hours ago, cschannuth said:

What I thought was the biggest waste ever turned out to be one of my favorites. The back up camera on my truck. Now when I’m in my older truck I can barely back up without the camera. Sounds silly but it really spoils a fella. 

5 hours ago, WHX22 said:

Agreed Craig, I had to get a truck with a camera as yelling at the Missus WHICH WAY to drop the hitch on the ball almost ended in divorce! New truck was the least expensive of that route.  :lol:

Just add a camera it's not difficult :banana-wrench: Check out post #27 and 28 on this thread!

• Like 1

cafoose

Sorry for the double post :wacko: I deleted the second post and it didn't let me submit empty content :bitch:

Edited by cafoose

Lee1977
7 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Gotta be the TV remote.  :occasion-xmas:  Can you imagine getting up every time to change the channel...especially with 140+ channels??  Also, just imagine how many commercials you would be stuck watching because it would be too much trouble to surf.

I would like to get rid of about 130 of them and just pay for the 10 I some times watch.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I would like to get rid of about 130 of them and just pay for the 10 I some times watch.

We have NO cable (and haven't for years)... And NO internet.

On purpose.

We shut 'em off.

Phones only. That's plenty.

Lee1977

I was around before chain saws and power tools were not to common on the farm. I bought the first electric drill and saw we had on the farm.

I have to say Chain Saws. I still remember being on the end of a cross cut saw. Wood was split with a sledge hammer and wedges. We got the first heating system just a couple of years before I left home.  

Edited by Lee1977

bc.gold

Soft margarine, instant coffee and lavatory fixtures that flush themselves on departing the privy..

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
21 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Obviously the cell phone.  It has so many uses besides just a form of communication.  Pretty much anymore they are almost a necessity.

Have to agree, I purchased an OBDCII with Bluetooth that is paired to my phone that enables me to retrieve fault codes from the ECU. Just google the code for description of the problem and a youtube video for a how to.

obdc.png

19richie66

I do love my Bluetooth speaker. I put on some good tunes while Iwork around the yard or shed and can carry it with me so I have tunes wherever I go. And the dredded cell phone that contains the music.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Rechargeable LED worklights and flashlights. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Lots of awesome answers.

Keep em coming !!!

JCM

I thought I would  never admit this but an automatic transmission in a truck,referring to a 20/30 &2500/3500 GM Trucks. In 1988 I had a new R-30 4 spd manual /454 dual wheel chassis cab that avg 5 mpg when new and avg 7.2 after break-in. In 2002 a K 3500 6.0 with 4 spd auto again a chassis cab that avg was 9 mpg. Now a 2013 2500 HD with a 6.0 and a 6 spd auto with manual mode that avg was 17 new and after cap and all tools the avg is at 13.5, the GVW is 9500 and recently weighed the truck and is just under 9000. I think the 6 spd helps a lot on the highway but  in the snow  the old 4 spd really shines.In the spring the old K-20 4 spd manual comes out for a ride, brings me back to a simpler time in our lives.           Great topic Eric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
22 hours ago, squonk said:

Electronic fuel injection.  (When it works! ) :)  As a mechanic who fought with, hand chokes, choke stoves, heat riser valves,choke pull offs,electric chokes, fast idle cams, :banana-wrench: I love going out on a cold day and being able to turn the key and VROOM! Walk away and not come back to a loping( if still running) or screaming truck. Spring and fall were the worst. Adjustments made in the spring now we're no good in the fall. I had a binder of a foot thick with technical bulletins trying to get a simple Chrysler tootally two 4 banger to run smoothly at partial choke. :techie-studyingbrown: And let's not forget the famous Mitsubishi 2.6 Caravans with the heat shield you took off in the fall to stop carb icing and put on to prevent carb boiling in the spring.

Remote start kits with their 25 relays would not be a thing without EFI! :notworthy:

I too was thinking fuel injection is a great advance!

In the beginning, I would tear it off in favor of a carb any day.  My last engine swap was air cooled VW to water cooled Subaru with fuel injection and an ECU.  The LS based engines are the 350 Chevy of modern hot rodding and if you don’t know how to wire it yourself, you shell out some cash and purchase one built for your application.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

A lot of “modern conveniences” I’ve found can be surpassed with “old school” tech/know how. 

Ive started to take my grandpas approach to things as I am getting older: Yea, a 15 in 1 tool is cool, but now one tool has 15 ways that it can fail. I’d rather have 15 separate tools that each only have 1 way to fail. 

While there are a lot of things out there, many already mentioned, that are/could be fantastic products, I’d be happier if the QUALITY of the products available today was the same as what was available even 10+ years ago. 

That being said: Portable Battery packs/Jump Starters. 

• Like 1

cafoose
13 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

My cable bill was over $200 and I cut the landline and TV. All I have from them is internet and only pay $110 for high speed. I stream TV through Roku using the internet and I have one good amplified antenna from amazon that I paid $50 for hooked to a signal booster going through my old cable network of coax for all my TVs. I have all the TV I need for a fraction of the cost and fast, reliable internet. :banana-dreads::banana-dance::banana-jumprope:

• Like 2

richmondred01

I’m kinda a basic guy.

I vote for indoor plumbing.  

Don’t laugh. I’ve been all over Virginia and the Appalachian areas of PA , Kentucky and WVA and it’s not uncommon still to see out houses. 

Whereas in Afghanistan, rocks are commonly utilized because toilet paper is a modern concept.

So I guess it’s ones frame of reference. 

But I wouldn’t give up my impact gun either......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88
11 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Whereas in Afghanistan, rocks are commonly utilized because toilet paper is a modern concept.

They use either a bidet, bucket, or bottle of water and their hand, dry with a towel and wash their hands afterwards. 

They may be “behind the times”, but I never saw anyone wiping with a rock...

• Haha 2

richmondred01

I don’t have any photos to offer up as evidence. 

Edited by richmondred01
  • Haha 2

tunahead72

That's good to know! :)

Now will somebody please change the subject? :ychain:

• Haha 2

squonk

Rocks come in all different grits! :helmet:

• Haha 4

tunahead72

NOOOOOOOO!!! :angry-screaming:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ohiofarmer

LolEasily the best modern thing Is Redsquare!! That and Taryl for the other brands

The outdoor equipment dealerships used to treat  people like mud if you did not buy a mower from them.  Now a person of limited means can buy used  and fix up for necessity or pleasure....and meet other friends with similar interests.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1