Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

S L O W tractor race

BPjunk

At the Wheel Horse Show the SLOW tractor RACE is always a popular event, for this kind of race it is NOT the fastest tractor that wins :Dbut the slowest that comes in last! :( The race is done in first gear with the engine at idle speed and when the last tractor crosses the finish line they are the winner. :P

The slow tractor race is one of Bens favorite games and I bet he would challenge any of the Red Square members to race against him at the show!

Bill in Richmond, Va.

nylyon

Can hydro's enter :P (there's one in every crowd huh?) :D

T-Mo

Bill,

I haven't been to one of these, but I've heard of this over on RFD-TV. I know I would do better in one of those than a fast race. :D

BPjunk

Can hydro's enter :( (there's one in every crowd huh?) :(

Well Karl,

Since ya' asked ... we do have several classes.

1) Three Speeds

2) Six and Eight Speeds

3) Them Hydro tractors! :P

Dang them hydros can go .... S L O WWWWWWWwwwwwww!

We had a guy in the slow race once who had a Suburban series with a 4hp Kohler that had a three to one gear reduction unit on it ...... the show was over for three hours and he still had not crossed the finish line!!!! :D:(:o

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Buzz

They need to have two classes, one for standard transmissions and one for hydros. Our local club only has one class anda hydro wins every year :D . now if i could only find a speed reduction attachment like Bob Taylor had on his 701 to put on my 8 speed :P .........

TT

AND....... Wild Bill has a "secret weapon" for this event too.

(Tell 'em about that SR-64 kit, Bill! :D )

Buzz

Darn Bill we was thinking alike.........

BPjunk

Bill,

I haven't been to one of these, but I've heard of this over on RFD-TV. I know I would do better in one of those than a fast race. :P

Terry,

Ya' sayin' you is easy goin' huh?

And speaking of RFD-TV I need to have another lunch with John Harvey, I have tried for the past couple years to get him to come to the Wheel Horse Show. Last year he did give me a tenitive yes when we had lunch but when I got home the next day he e-mailed me with his scheadule and could not make it. :D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

T-Mo

And speaking of RFD-TV I need to have another lunch with John Harvey, I have tried for the past couple years to get him to come to the Wheel Horse Show. Last year he did give me a tenitive yes when we had lunch but when I got home the next day he e-mailed me with his scheadule and could not make it.

Now you really have my attention. That would be great if RFT-TV would tape it and air it. Though you probably won't be making any friends with wives around here (especially mine). :D

BPjunk

AND....... Wild Bill has a "secret weapon" for this event too.

(Tell 'em about that SR-64 kit, Bill! :( )

Terry,

Even though the SR-64 Speed Reduction kit on my model 654 did win me a lot of trophies in tractor pulls I did lose BIG TIME at the 3rd Annual Wheel Horse Show! (I am pretty sure Dale remembers this well) I challenged Terese LePree of Western Michigan with her Suburban 550 equipt with a WT-30 Speed Reduction kit to a slow tractor race over the internet ... and there was a crowd watching when the event took place. To make sure every thing was fair and we both got a even start we had Mike "Hired Gun" Ferguson be the flag man. Well when Mike said "GO!" no matter how hard I cheated ... uh er I mean tried I could not get the 654 to go slower then Terese on her 550. I did slow the engine idle speed down and let air out of the rear tires to reduce the circumference. :P After the race was over I did congradulate Terese by getting on my knees in the dirt while wearing good clothes and bowing down to her :D ..... and ya' know it was amazing jus' how many camera flashes went off during that moment. :(

Bill in Richmond, Va.

CHARGER9AUTO

At the Wheel Horse Show the SLOW tractor RACE is always a popular event, for this kind of race it is NOT the fastest tractor that wins :Dbut the slowest that comes in last! :( The race is done in first gear with the engine at idle speed and when the last tractor crosses the finish line they are the winner. :(

The slow tractor race is one of Bens favorite games and I bet he would challenge any of the Red Square members to race against him at the show!

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Bill, I will have my 1963 Wheel Horse 953 in the SLOW tractor RACE then shift it into 1st gear and lower the engine speed down to idle . I won last time with my '74 C-100 8-Speed . :(:P Ben

kj4kicks

Can hydro's enter :P (there's one in every crowd huh?) :D

Gonna drop my 2 cents in the bucket here. I guess with an Eaton hydro it might be ok (I still wouldn't do it). But I would NEVER run a Sundstrand at idle. That's a big no-no according to the book, and I have some busted parts to back it up. Low RPM's won't turn the pump fast enough to make good pressure. Low pressure = burnt up parts.

Maybe I need to pick up a manual trans unit for this!

Buzz

I did congradulate Terese by getting on my knees in the dirt while wearing good clothes and bowing down to her :D ..... and ya' know it was amazing jus' how many camera flashes went off during that moment. :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

I remember it well, the build-up on the Yahoo group, the race, and the bowing afterwards. I took pictures and posted them on the yahoo site but a few years ago during one of yahoos glitches they were wiped out :( . Darn.......sure would be nice to see one........ Hey Nick, do you have one hidden somewheres?

oldandred

They need to have two classes, one for standard transmissions and one for hydros. Our local club only has one class anda hydro wins every year :P . now if i could only find a speed reduction attachment like Bob Taylor had on his 701 to put on my 8 speed :D .........

Hay Buzz a few years ago when i made a visit to give you a tractor well i got a 701 from Bob with the kit on it you can bet it will be there.

Unlike 2001 Im not bowing down to bill or did he bow down to some else its been a few years I forget.and I can bring the Gt14 now I know it will creap along.Or bring the little stinker deisel and put some motor oil in it now that will slow it down. :(

Curmudgeon

Hey Bill, when you started this thread I wondered if'n you were gonna own up to that race! Oh yes, I remember it well, and have plenty oh pictures with you on your knees!

Takes a big man to admit it like you did, but as you said, there is so much prove out there! LOL

Buzz

:D Dale, it would be ever so nice if you could post them, or if it's a problem with dial-up, email them to one of the moderators so that they could. You know what they always say here.............:P:wwp::(

Curmudgeon

That was pre-digital camera for me, so they are mostly in actual picture format. However, at one time these three were on my website.

Prerace boasting:

beforerace.jpg

Bill's races out front! Thus loosing.........

slowracing.jpg

Bill lives up to his word by bowing down to the Queen of Slow Racing:

bowing.jpg

Uh, Buzz, email is also dialup! LOL

Curmudgeon

Personally, I think it was Terese's hands on the thighs driving technique that did it!

Notice also how the dialup guy has his pictures cropped all nice and tight on the subject at hand. Wonder why that is? :D

Nick

Sorry Buzz I must not have one of that. How about a hot dog race picture? :D

hotdog.jpg

Buzz

Uh, Buzz, email is also dialup! LOL

Duh............ :D

BPjunk

Sorry Buzz I must not have one of that. How about a hot dog race picture? :(

hotdog.jpg

OK OK

So I did not have a tractor slow enough to win the slow race BUT I gotta mouth big enough to win the hot dog race against Todd Hossler and his Monster 854! :D

Nick,

That picture is hanging on the wall of my den! THANKS AGAIN for sending it to me! :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Sparky

On the den wall??!! Nice!

My wife is cool with my tractor hobby but I dont think she wants pictures of em on our walls :P . In the garage, yes, but not in the house :D .

Mike......jelous of course....

TT

Gonna drop my 2 cents in the bucket here. I guess with an Eaton hydro it might be ok (I still wouldn't do it). But I would NEVER run a Sundstrand at idle. That's a big no-no according to the book, and I have some busted parts to back it up. Low RPM's won't turn the pump fast enough to make good pressure. Low pressure = burnt up parts.

Maybe I need to pick up a manual trans unit for this!

That's the beauty of the hydro, Eldon. The engine can be running at full governed rpm (which is what they're intended to do) and you can still creeeeeeeeeeep along real slow. They're actually more controllable when they're turning at full speed -- even a contemptible old Sundstrand. :(

If you want to cheat, you can always crack the tow valve open a little (if you have one) -- but you didn't hear that from me. :P

T-Mo

Man, these pictures and stories are depressing. Here I am wanting to go and can't. Note to self: Must come up with a grand scheme to convince the wife that SHE IS the one who wants to go. :D

kj4kicks

Thanks TT, that is very true. Put a little extra friction on the speed lever, give it a bump, and it's like "cruise control". Yep, that'll work !!