clueless

WH factory?

clueless

When was the (Toro) Wheel Horse Factory closed in South Bend?

1995 520H+96+97

@clueless      1986 NOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_Horse

Redoyourhorse  ID decals show a 1990 520 made in South Bend, and 1991 made in Bloomington.

Edited by 1995 520H+96+97
  • Like 1

Racinbob

1986 was the year Toro acquired Wheel Horse but they kept the plant open for several years. I believe it was 1991.....ish when they moved things to their home state and shut the plant down. :)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Pollack Pete
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

1986 was the year Toro acquired Wheel Horse but they kept the plant open for several years. I believe it was 1991.....ish when they moved things to their home state and shut the plant down. :)

Sad day...……...

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yes, it was. I was fuming when they moved especially since they initially said they wouldn't. An interesting read is a book title 'Making the Grass Greener on Your Side' By the Toro CEO, Ken Melrose. There's a few pages about the purchase and how and why they just let Wheel Horse do their thing the first couple years as they sat back and watched the "tractor experts". They had a great deal of respect for the company and the product. The recession of the early 90's played a major part in the move to Minnesota.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

To bad we couldn't buy it back lock stock and barrel and revived this great machine. What a day that would be!!!!!!

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 minute ago, Whnewone said:

To bad we couldn't buy it back lock stock and barrel and revived this great machine. What a day that would be!!!!!!

I can't imagine that sales would be good, few people care about quality, they want cheap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Blackhood Bill

Think about all the great marketing material we have here on red square. Who knows what could happen. I know I would try it it if I had enough $$$. 

• Like 2

Guest 88vic

I was at an Exmark update training a couple days ago. Exmark is owned by the Toro company, some higher ups were there. I asked them if they were ever thinking about bringing the wheel horse name back, I was told that they would never bring back "old, outdated technology". Yeah I wasnt a happy camper with that answer. 

Blackhood Bill

The only problem they just don't know what they have bought. They are all about cheaper is better. That's really sad in my book.

• Like 1

Guest 88vic

But they did acknowledge the unidrive transmission was a bulletproof design and was probably one of wheel horses best quality. So they buttered me up after that horrific comment. 

Blackhood Bill

Just like big executives. Just find something to make someone feel better!? Another problem is people don't want to take the time to work the implements and all associated things. I just wish I had the denero I would make them an offer. Then do some real smart marketing and then pray for the best. Just wishful thinkin but that's how I feel

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

These machines are so tough that you can find a nice one for a fraction of the cost of new. Pretty soon you will run out of customers because they keep what they have 

If you adjust what those machines cost new to today's dollars, they are not competitive with a zero turn .  

In a way, that makes it better for the dedicated tinkerers like us 

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

Someone needs to make a video of what these machines can do then ask the Toro people can your zero turn machine do this or this and just watch the look on their faces. I would love to be there.

• Like 1

Digger 66
7 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN3 said:

I was told that they would never bring back "old, outdated technology".

It's not good business to make things that people won't buy .

Why take care of something ..... just THROW IT AWAY !

Not this boy .

1qtsGRV.jpg

s1SEy0V.jpg

GhQaQLY.jpg

• Like 7

midpack

The way I look at it is this, you CAN buy a comparable machine as a Wheel Horse today. It would probably cost in the 20K range... and that would likely equate to the 4K range for my C-175 Hydro in 1980

• Like 4

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

It's not good business to make things that people won't buy .

Why take care of something ..... just THROW IT AWAY !

Not this boy .

Just look at many of the :wh: tractors brought back to life here.  Many were abused beyond belief and basically thrown away.  Why would someone pay a high price for something that won't even get the oil changed?  People just go through life leaving a trail of destruction behind them and depend on others to keep them after they wasted all their resources.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
12 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN3 said:

But they did acknowledge the unidrive transmission was a bulletproof design and was probably one of wheel horses best quality. So they buttered me up after that horrific comment. 

They would not have enough butter for that!!

:ROTF::ROTF:

The Tuul Crib

Things are designed to last five years at most . They couldn't make money on parts 

with no room room for inventory. We live in a disposable world. I just had this discussion with one of my coworkers. They design them to break down or should I say engineer them to!!

• Sad 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

Even the very best engineered equipment has failure designed into it from the get go.

Don't you know?  :scratchead: That's where the money is...in the buying, and the selling.   

The Tuul Crib
18 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

Even the very best engineered equipment has failure designed into it from the get go.

Don't you know?  :scratchead: That's where the money is...in the buying, and the selling.   

:text-yeahthat:is the discussion whe had exactly ! 

Designed for failure

ohiofarmer
On 2/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, lynnmor said:

Just look at many of the :wh: tractors brought back to life here.  Many were abused beyond belief and basically thrown away.  Why would someone pay a high price for something that won't even get the oil changed?  People just go through life leaving a trail of destruction behind them and depend on others to keep them after they wasted all their resources.

The fact that so many parts are backwards/forwards compatible to different tractors is what keeps us going in restoring.  4 speed and 8 speed transmissions will swap, for example..  Just a little secret...Honda Motorcycles are like that as well.  Cross reference charts and used parts on the internet have seen to that..When you see a Gold Wing part used on an ATV,that's when you get amazed

• Like 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The fact that so many parts are backwards/forwards compatible to different tractors is what keeps us going in restoring.

Another big advantage we have is that :wh: used conventional bearings, seals and other hardware. So many manufacturers used "propitiatory" hardware that could only be obtained from their dealers. 

• Like 3