gt14rider

Gt14 90-2062

gt14rider

I'm still down to the rafters, builder 60 years ago cut rafters 3/4 way through and put a small patch around pipe. Have to box in rafters and cut pipe to fit through box, put new subflooring, bla,bla,bla. Dam it JIM I'm a mechanic  not a carpenter. 

• Haha 2

gt14rider
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I think I still have a complete gt14 differential laying in the shed after I converted mine. I’ll check this afternoon 

Thank you, 

Sarge

For building high load pulling tools, splitters, and such other devices - I use these as a cheap source of high strength forcing screws.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/ACME-Thread-Lead-Screw-Nuts/

The ACME thread design can handle much higher loads than any SAE or Metric 60* thread design. Just be sure to keep them oiled and be careful in how you weld the nuts to avoid embrittlement. I've had to build countless pullers, pushers, splitters and other tools to work on things that were designed to not be serviced, but replaced. I don't accept that, so I rebuild a lot of things that for the most part aren't all that tough to do. Just takes time and some thinking outside the box.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Thanks for link, acme thread would be nice. Ouch taps are a little  pricey 

Sarge

ACME thread taps are not cheap at all, even the imported junk Chinese versions. Due to the thread design, it requires either a 2-stage tandem tap or 2 different taps to form the threads. Semi-square, square, round and other types are even worse. Far cheaper to just buy the nuts and weld/capture them when building parts or tools. The lead screws from Surplus Center are only 1018 steel, so they can't take the full rated load of that thread design but are far stronger than standard 60* cut threads. The nuts they sell are some really nice alloy - so no fear of welding them there but they are hardened. Best to use 1018 or ER70 filler rod and some preheat - right around 250*. I've built a ton of tools, screw driven devices and such with these parts - the thread design clogs far less, handles a much, much higher load force and can take shock loads far better than anything else for the money.

Also, you'd be surprised what a cheap 3 ton, short hydraulic jack can do as well. Even one of those cheap knockoff Porta-Power units has a short ram that is useful. 

Sarge

gt14rider

Well thought about a Jack, that's why square plate is so big, to be able to bolt a Jack on if bolt didn't  work, ( got idea from meadowfeilds post, in tools and equipment)  but my use your idea of welding acme nut to plate, thanks for idea 

Edited by gt14rider

gt14rider

Welded up parking paw, ordered differential parts, should get bearings Wednesday 

20190416_172118.jpg

20190416_172122.jpg

daveoman1966

That looks like a new Parking Pawl....nice weld-up.  The reason this gets 'ground down' is from yanking up the Parking Brake while in motion.  Every time someone does a 'panic stop' like that, a bit of the pawl gets chipped off...worn down and...guess where the filings go...  floating thru the entire system, scarring and damaging the soft BRASS components like the piston slippers and valve plates.  It is kinda like throwing your car into PARK, while moving.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not lecturing, just want to get this out there in Red Square land...so all will know.  Don't EVER pull up the Parking Brake lever while moving.  There is even a decal warning of this.

218 (29).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

gt14rider

It was broke when I got it honest, it wasn't  me. It will be nice to be able to set break not throw a block down or run after it. 

• Like 3

gt14rider

Next issue, transmission 5070  bearing M 16101         1 x 1 1/4 x 5/8 is unavailable,was suggested to use,     M 16081, 1 x 1 1/4 x 1/2.

Having trouble finding, any suggestions on where to purchase.   :confusion-scratchheadblue:   Thanks

pfrederi

I just reuse the originals .  never found one that was in bad shape.

gt14rider

Found this place, asked for a quote, but not herd back yet

Screenshot_20190419-095322_Chrome.jpg

gt14rider
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I just reuse the originals .  never found one that was in bad shape.

Check out the bearing seams ok, I'll probably go a head and use it. I'm a little anal to always replace with new bearings :angry-banghead:

gt14rider

Little progress on tranny, cleaning things up.

Got the lift valve cleaned up with new seals.

Cleaning up cases, seals and bearings should be here in a couple of days 

Screenshot_20190429-170404_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190429-170429_Gallery.jpg

20190429_164718.jpg

20190429_170625.jpg

gt14rider

Got the bearings in and some paint 

20190506_155554.jpg

20190506_155603.jpg

20190506_160617.jpg

20190506_162739.jpg

20190506_162800.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66

Looking good :coffee:

gt14rider

Started work on this again. Does anyone know a good source of hydraulic hose fittings and what size. Might try and make some if price is right or buy some from A-Z 

19richie66

Lowell at 

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/about-us.html

I got all my gt14 hoses from him and had some custom made. Excellent product and great people to deal with.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 1