wallfish

Anyone recognize these parts?

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Kinda like the way them Seniors are evolving.

953 nut
7 hours ago, wallfish said:

Should the steering wheel be "glued on" just like factory?

:no:             You need to make a little bitty roll pin!             :ychain:

• Haha 1

wallfish

If there's time after this one is done, I'm think'n I can turn a small block of pine, some toothpicks and a dowel, into an RJ. Guesstimating about 40-50 total hours and it can be stained. Might try working on both at the same time???? Many of the details can be painted on (tank straps) which is part of why it takes much longer with the toothpicks. All that glue time just to stick them together for a proper size piece and then only to have them split apart at crucial points consumes much of the time. And no breaking stuff to get a curve, just shape it by sanding. I'll have to figure out the tires like using a hole saw.

IMG_0255.JPG.231d2fc8050479f51c8969b424184d67.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG.6012a6374a0ea1080dc0998dba3dcca9.JPG

Plus I have a small desktop wood shop with table saw, sander and drill press. Don't really use those for the toothpicks but I do cut a lot of them on the front as you can see all the pieces on there.  

111482843_desktopshop.JPG.02a71c8f2975664bda8f1ce409749d20.JPG

Basic toothpick tools plus a couple drill bits, clamps and sandpaper.

IMG_0259.JPG.0dfa59c76d73a9b0f8ae1bc91787eb06.JPG

Almost forgot. There's the steering wheel drying while pinched in the Advil bottle cap. Noticed it in the pic

1394898353_steeringwheeldry.JPG.65353e436497c2f457d9b534e380f86f.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

I forgot to ask, will this transmission have 3 forward speeds and reverse?  :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I forgot to ask, will this transmission have 3 forward speeds and reverse?  :ychain:

It is getting carried away with the small detail but that's because you guys wanted pics and a build thread.

Now that I figured out an easy way to get a drill bit to go deep straight down the center of 4 glued toothpicks to make pipe, maybe replace the rear axle so at least the tires spin. Will that do? :lol:

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

formariz
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Absolutely not. It would probably be close to complete if it wasn't made outta toothpicks and done with just wood.  I wouldn't want to cover up all of art of crafting it because it would only look like it's made out of plastic if it's painted. Couldn't find that thread where a guy made perfect replicas by 3D printer and the thread which inspired this build to get started. That thing looks perfect down to the smallest detail. That's the stuff for paint and would bet painting it in very extreme detail would be an art all on it's own. Painting this one would be like covering that one with broken toothpick pieces.

Totally agree. I don't think John's intention was to create  a perfect replica although it is a rather precise one. We all know what it is. We are all entitled to our opinions and one can not argue others' tastes, but in my opinion staining it or painting it , would only hide and detract from its appeal. One needs to clearly see all the individual components and the hundreds of different pieces of material that it is composed of. We ourselves have a different and deeper appreciation for it because we know so well what it is, and have a visual reference for it. Its appeal however is way beyond what it represents. Not only the craftsmanship involved but also the stretching of the physical limitations of the materials themselves is something to admire.

Incredible that a mind and hands which can mold,cut ,twist and join rough rusty metal parts to create a motorcycle all from parts totally not appropriate for the task, can also be so gentle, caring and careful as to create such a delicate object. There is no substitute or equivalent for the human touch.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell

34 minutes ago, formariz said:

Incredible that a mind and hands which can mold,cut ,twist and join rough rusty metal parts to create a motorcycle all from parts totally not appropriate for the task, can also be so gentle, caring and careful as to create such a delicate object. There is no substitute or equivalent for the human touch.

So well said...Thank you.                                                

• Like 4

wallfish
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Here you go! How about just 1 forward speed and reverse. New axle tube installed so the wheels will actually spin. Really doesn't make sense to have all this other detail and not that. Thanks for bringing it up at the perfect time.

IMG_0262.JPG.f26ac891f952fbd41b6f0871394fca2a.JPG

Hey Cas, Not so delicate on that old axle, huh? :ychain:

Don't be tell'n anybody my hands are delicate, they might start calling me Madge too like they did on Jim @WHX22!:lol:

Just mess'n wichya!

Your understanding of it is much appreciated

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

wallfish
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Not if it was thinned, and done as a wash to enable the grain to show through.

If you look closely at the pic with the new axle tube, where it meets with the side panels there's a ring of glue to hold it. Glue mixed with sanding dust is used for filler in some spots and some of the pieces are or will be completely covered with glue because they're so small and need the added support. The intention is to kind of hide some of those things by using the clear glue and any color wash coat would accent them. It would be like painting only the welds and small parts bright white on a trailer queen tractor using a 4 inch wide brush.

I do understand why some color would be cool to do so I'll try to keep glue to a minimum on the wood piece. I suck at painting so you get the job to do it!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That's why I said to use a light stain John.

With a fine brush(maybe one hair even) you could control the opacity, and placement of said stain.

In addition to the aesthetic enhancement, would provide your delicate little flower there an added level of structural integrity as well. 

• Haha 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, wallfish said:

There's the steering wheel drying while pinched in the Advil bottle cap

:text-coolphotos:         I had seen the Advil in the first picture and wondered if this was becoming a headache.            :ychain:

• Haha 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

my hands are delicate, they might start calling me Madge too like they did on Jim @WHX22!:lol:

:laughing-rolling:

Capture.JPG

a0283c7b9db227785583e73a6c33e62a.jpg

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Man, the mere suggestion that Wallfish has hands more delicate than your's...

sends you off the deep end, huh Jim?   :wacko:

• Haha 4

AMC RULES

Image result for popcorn smiley

wallfish

LMFAO

13 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

That's why I said to use a light stain John.

With a fine brush(maybe one hair even) you could control the opacity, and placement of said stain.

In addition to the aesthetic enhancement, would provide your delicate little flower there an added level of structural integrity as well. 

I don't have the patience for that stuff. BUT... if I build one, will you paint it?

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

See the source image

• Haha 2

WHX??

Glad to see you got a chuckle John... my gut is still hurting .... what you lookin at Craig.... you started the whole danged Madge thing ... now I'm talking like Howard...

Nice woodwork 'Fish but I fear you been sniffing a bit much Radon.....:lol:.... I gotta go..... tractor to hammer on....lololol

• Haha 3

wallfish

Not much more done. Just one 6-12 tire complete and the second most of the way done. Going with turfs for now. Tires are time consuming as just this little bit is probably about 5-6 hours but was also working on the rim and some other stuff while glue was drying. Unfortunately all of my attempts for a rim blew apart in the Dremel as they were being sanded.

6-12.JPG.0ae325a5ce89d00565cebadd68ae0316.JPG

• Like 6

wallfish

Had some set backs with stuff not working out or just didn't like them.

The tires are giving me trouble (again) which is why I'm never thrilled to do them.

So since the rims kept blowing apart while spinning them in the Dremel, took a new approach.

You can see all the little thin slats glued in around the inner side. What a pain and of coarse the measurements aren't exact so had to fill in the last little opening with a sliver.

1444785053_6-12slats.JPG.d986b479d35113d533752cdcfa96e217.JPG

6-12.JPG.181ab0bcf564aea2bd7c63ed36b68e7c.JPG

Now the problem is the tires look too small compared to whole thing with the hood on. My initial instinct was to do them with 3 pieces for each layer for the circle instead of 2 but thought I could keep them large enough using 2 pieces per layer. They shrink quite a bit after sanding them into shape and appear to have come out too small. Frustrated, I stopped for a while and worked on something else.

A different one made of pine instead of toothpicks. Cut a piece off the little wooden block used for cutting drilling and circle for tires and here's what came out. It's probably half the time doing this compared to toothpicks. This pine RJ will be going out to paint! @953 nut agreed to give it a try.

IMG_0283.JPG.1f7699a4550b6dedab0bf8dd55d146a9.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG.6b8298121e74df38d1107442ca13f1f0.JPG

Now the interesting thing was with the pine hood on the toothpick model, it seemed about the right size to go with the tires I made. Kind of eyeballed them up and to me, it was more dimensional correct. SO, rather than make new tires, it was just easier to make a new hood from toothpicks to match the size of the pine hood.  The hood stand will just be lowered and the frame rails get shortened. But just want make sure it all looks right before doing any of that so need to get some other parts made.

IMG_0285.JPG.f7b1bb5aaa7fb1b8667468090c76347a.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG.1ca09f58b07a802eec89d375d854ec1e.JPG

The pine trans is just barely a little larger than the other one but here's a couple of pics with the pine stuff and the toothpick tires.

Probably end up making bigger toothpick tires and use the small ones for the pine tractor but....

Either way it all gets used but will end up with an extra hood

IMG_0288.JPG.6931e0fe88aa57b4e1940f77355c1cd6.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG.1c9482dc3e544fd8e7ec4ca0bd797dd3.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG.7c0fbf9d979010810338e1010a4df755.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 7

Ed Kennell

OK, what's your number John.      I want it on my emergency phone list...….just in case I ever need brain surgery.  :helmet:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

formariz

Its not easy being you!:bow-blue:

wallfish
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

OK, what's your number John.      I want it on my emergency phone list...….just in case I ever need brain surgery.  :helmet:

Not a problem Ed, I'll take care of you at the big show! I got the tools. :Dhammer.jpg.874451a68def2a9bfc3cb9899d6305de.jpg

61M9MGc4mwL.jpg.708a97b935c8ba49cc107ef050d97fc4.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

wallfish
12 minutes ago, formariz said:

Its not easy being you!:bow-blue:

Sometimes everything goes well and other times it doesn't.

Once enough parts get made then it comes down to trying to size them somewhat correct so it doesn't look like a cartoon version.

It's weird that I'm so particular doing this but then go out in the shed and "hammer mechanic" on stuff with no real precision or care at all. :scratchead:

• Like 2

formariz
8 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Sometimes everything goes well and other times it doesn't.

Once enough parts get made then it comes down to trying to size them somewhat correct so it doesn't look like a cartoon version.

It's weird that I'm so particular doing this but then go out in the shed and "hammer mechanic" on stuff with no real precision or care at all. :scratchead:

With this you have that visual reference always in your mind. Correct proportions are key when creating something. Trying to achieve it  can drive you batty sometimes.

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

This pine RJ will be going out to paint! @953 nut agreed to give it a try.

I have used wood dyes on figured hardwoods in the past and love the look. I am experimenting with different preparation and application methods on pine with the end goal being a dye job to die for!      :text-thankyoublue:           for trusting me with your art work.

• Like 2