CrazyDetroit

B10 8speed alxe

CrazyDetroit

Any suggestions on a fix to get me through this winter. I was thinking about running  set screw down to axle to act a key.  I will replace axle or rear end in spring. Hub is fine 

20190219_084555.jpg

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, CrazyDetroit said:

Any suggestions on a fix to get me through this winter. I was thinking about running  set screw down to axle to act a key.  I will replace axle or rear end in spring. Hub is fine 

20190219_084555.jpg

as I'm sure you're well aware of the only real way to get that fixed would be to put another Groove in it.

If you are not wanting to remove it from the tractor at this point in time my only suggestion... Which I honestly don't think we'll work that well... Is to put a second set screw... Such as from a newer hub... 90° off from where that one is going to be back on the axle key.

pfrederi

Temp repair.  Like EB said drill and tap a second hole 90 degrees out for a second set screw.  Put JB weld in the key way push the woodruff key in keeping it straight. let it set then grind off any excess. Put the hub back on and cross your fingers.

• Like 3

oliver2-44
44 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Temp repair.  Like EB said drill and tap a second hole 90 degrees out for a second set screw.  Put JB weld in the key way push the woodruff key in keeping it straight. let it set then grind off any excess. Put the hub back on and cross your fingers.

Before putting JB Weld in scratch the key way up with some rough sand paper.  Clean the key way thoroughly with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner. Then let air for an hour to let the trace elements of those cleaners to evaporate out of the metal pores (They can act as a release agent).

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

@Ed Kennell made a brass key then welded in beside it. Worked great. I've done it myself since. Permanent fix...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Theres only two things I can think is first a spare tractor or replace the axle, course not a quick fix! But it is a great way to add to the herd!!!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

@Ed Kennell made a brass key then welded in beside it. Worked great. I've done it myself since. Permanent fix...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Jay,  I often wondered if anyone tried the repair.   Glad it worked for you.   I never got to test the axle I restored as I sold the tranny before I got to use it.

I do still have pis of the repair.

Before

IMG_4346.JPG.003f195d8ae44c8f9ec4af9408c06a5d.JPG

The dummy brass key

IMG_4347.JPG.55e792dbae1d0f2afe17e78fa2d5b3b7.JPG

After

IMG_4349.JPG.b50821e6476f48e0726e52bcdfbd86c2.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Excellent 3

JoeM
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Kennell made a brass key then welded in beside it.

Place a damp rag at seal area to retard heat on seal. I have also seen the hubs welded to the axle on the outside.

• Like 1