Reel Mower Freak

Newest Score: 520HC

GrandpaRay

great find and good luck

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak

Reassembling tonight. Intake is sealed up. I did find an intake bolt that stripped the head a bit. What are the two 90 degree brackets for that mount on two of the intake bolts on the pto side? My solution was to remove the front one so the bolt went a little deeper into the head where the threads are good. I just didn’t have a longer bolt tonight. I will install the rest of the assorted brackets and covers tomorrow. I still need to tackle the throttle fix to keep it from backing down constantly. Thanks for any input as always. 

Reel Mower Freak

I finished putting everything back together. It ran well. Very little smoke. Thought I was gold...... I wasn’t. I installed the blower. No fresh snow so I hit some snow banks just to try it out. Tractor smokes a lot under load. Not good. I did the SeaFoam spray yesterday but I’m pretty sure a top end refresh at the minimum is needed. I’ll wait for some fresh snow just to try it out and then plan the next move. Considering just sending it down the road as free time is in short supply and my barn is full. Something needs to go. 

• Excellent 1

ericj
1 hour ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

Tractor smokes a lot under load. Not good.

run it for awhile and keep changing the oil and see if it gets better. do I remember you added sea foam in the gas ? that could make a difference too, possibly. The real answer will be how much oil does it use and how often. make sure it has the right spark plugs in it to get proper burn . Good luck

eric j

• Like 1

Reel Mower Freak

I did add some to the gas. I just bought a fresh jug of premium non-ethanol to run in it. I’ll see how it goes after it’s been running a while. Oil change is still to come. Thanks for the input. It’s always welcomed and appreciated. 

Reel Mower Freak

We had some good snowfall today. I was itching to get home from work. Tractor worked very well. This thing really throws out the snow. Love it. It did do some odd things when I stopped working it and brought it down to an idle just sitting there. Coughed and smoked a bit. Hopefully just cleaning crap out still. Hopefully I can run at least one tank of gas through it and then reclean the carb again. Sealing the intake and cleaning the carb completely solved the surging. For those that care. I didn’t split the intake. I cleaned it very well and sealed the seam with high temp rv all the way around. Time will tell if it lasts. Any leaks would be drawing in air so I felt sealing the outside would be enough. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Reel Mower Freak said:

We had some good snowfall today. I was itching to get home from work. Tractor worked very well. This thing really throws out the snow. Love it. It did do some odd things when I stopped working it and brought it down to an idle just sitting there. Coughed and smoked a bit. Hopefully just cleaning crap out still. Hopefully I can run at least one tank of gas through it and then reclean the carb again. Sealing the intake and cleaning the carb completely solved the surging. For those that care. I didn’t split the intake. I cleaned it very well and sealed the seam with high temp rv all the way around. Time will tell if it lasts. Any leaks would be drawing in air so I felt sealing the outside would be enough. 

Love my deuce...

895_1.jpg

• Heart 1

Skipper
On 2/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Reel Mower Freak said:

My deck turned into a drive over deck whether it was designed that way or not. I just dropped the deck and we pushed the front backwards over it. It wasn’t sliding out on that uneven wood barn floor. 

#METOO :D

I made two arched wooden ramps that goes over the deck, and rest both on the ground, and on the deck. I just drive straight over it, both on and off. Takes less than 5 minutes to hook up this way, and not a drop of sweat lost, most importantly. :happy-jumpgreen:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3

Reel Mower Freak
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

#METOO :D

I made two arched wooden ramps that goes over the deck, and rest both on the ground, and on the deck. I just drive straight over it, both on and off. Takes less than 5 minutes to hook up this way, and not a drop of sweat lost, most importantly. :happy-jumpgreen:

That’s a great idea. I will be doing that. It’s such a pig of a deck I’m scared to throw my back out. The 54” on the JD z-turn isn’t even close to that heavy. Thanks