ericl72

Shifting problems

ericl72

Hi,

I have a Wheel Horse D250 tractor. I bought it used a couple of  years ago and only ran it once before a set screw on the shifter handle went bad. To fix it I took the housing off, disassembled the shafts and forks fixed the set screw and put it back together. It only will shift into 2 of 4 gears. I haven't started the engine yet. If I start the engine will this help? Advice or an assembly schematic of the forks would help.

Also the transmission did not have anything in the case. What should it have? ATF or hydraulic fluid? Thanks.

stevasaurus

Can you post a model number of the horse, or tell us what year you think it is?? 

This link may help...

953 nut
6 hours ago, ericl72 said:

It only will shift into 2 of 4 gears. I haven't started the engine yet. If I start the engine will this help?

I wouldn't start the engine quite yet.   The first thing I would suggest would be to jack up one rear tire and try to turn the transmission in neutral and then attempt to shift the gears again.

gwest_ca

Click on the blank space above the Tractor 1976 D-250 ......... Then click of the pictures that come up on the next page. Two of them are from the lube charts. One gives you code letters/numbers that are on the second page.

Garry

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

ericl72

I will post more information  in the morning. Thanks for the comments so far. 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@ericl72 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Sounds like the shift forks are not where they are supposed to be.

ericl72

Hi,

I went out and did chores this morning and tried to take pictures. The tarp covering my tractor is frozen to the ground. Near Durand, Illinois. I'll look over the attachments that have been sent and reply when it warms up a bit. Thanks.

ericl72

Once it warms up I'll check the forks to make sure I installed them correctly. In the mean time stay warm. Thanks.