cazngz

W/H transmission oil vs trans fluid

cazngz

I know the Electros  ( 1970 in my case ) came with transmissions that used engine oil or auto trans oil like Dextron.  What I'm curious about ( other than knowing why 2 different ones in the same model year )  is the ratio of oil vs auto trans that were produced.  Were there more autos trans than oil made or vica versa ?  I'm assuming it's the same trans, just that the factory for some reason used oil in some and dextron in others.  Did one work out better than the other ? Does anyone have an idea ?  I know the factory manual for my D-180 said to use Dextron so I'm leaning toward the Dextron as being the one they ended up using..

gwest_ca

Can't answer your questions but here is a page in our files for the model 1-7255.

Click on the fuzzy picture below to view it.

On the page that comes up are 4 screen shots. Click on one of them and go through them to see 2 that are from a lube chart.

I do not know when the manual was published but appears the equipment available was a typewriter.

What you will not see is a line in the manual that states the info is the latest available at the time of printing and may be different from earlier published info.

Possible reason may have been improvements in oil products or the ambient temperatures the equipment was subject to in this growing industry.

The 2 screen shots were added to our file description page so you do not have to download anything to view it.

Here is the whole lube file. Click on the picture and download from the next page.

Used the word Chart in a search of the files to find it which worked good in the beginning but now it shows up in 33 pages of results that are in no particular order.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

If your unit has ATF (Dextron) in it you should replace it with ATF.   If it has motor oil in it you should replace it with motor oil. The two do not mix well.

pfrederi

First off it is DEXRON no "T"  (pet peeve of mine sorry)

Sundstrand built the same hydro with slight mounting variations for several garden tractor manufactures.  JD CUB. etc.  I looked at the fluid and filter recommendations from them and they were all over the map.  From proprietary like JD20 to motor oil to ATF even Tractor hydraulic  fluid like HyTran.

Keep it clean don't mix and whatever you use will work just fine.

My Charger Electros all run ATF and have for 50 years no issues from that.  The D200 has 10w-30 for 44 years

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

cazngz
29 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

First off it is DEXRON no "T"  (pet peeve of mine sorry)

Sundstrand built the same hydro with slight mounting variations for several garden tractor manufactures.  JD CUB. etc.  I looked at the fluid and filter recommendations from them and they were all over the map.  From proprietary like JD20 to motor oil to ATF even Tractor hydraulic  fluid like HyTran.

Keep it clean don't mix and whatever you use will work just fine.

My Charger Electros all run ATF and have for 50 years no issues from that.  The D200 has 10w-30 for 44 years

You do realize that the " T " and the " R "  are right next to each other don't you ?  :)    Actually I did know that, I just wanted to see if someone would catch it.  Good job !!     To the point I was just curious if there was any rhyme or reason as to the different fluids that were used.  If there was, the guys responsible may no longer be here to tell us why..  A shame..    I know years ago Ford used type F trans oil that provided snappier shifts. Unfortunately for them it was a period when ( except for Hot Rodders )  the majority of Americans wanted a smoother shift.. Enter Dexron     Eventually Ford changed as well..    Thanks for the info..  BTW,  I also have a CC 3184, I changed to oil and filter in that last year.  Cost me almost a hundred dollars for both.   

953 nut
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

DEXRON no "T"  (pet peeve of mine sorry)

That depends on what manufacturer it came from.

Valvoline ATF Transmission Fluid Dextron Mercron III

Valvoline Dextron Mercron III automatic transmission fluid is the recommended fluid to use in most of Indmar's transmissions. Use this ATF fluid in ZF Hurth,Velvet Drive, and Ski Vee V-drives where ATF is called 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi

Valvoline does know how to spell it :P

I did learn that the newer Dexrons are backward compatible with 2 and 3....of course it is probably pricier than DexMerc

Dex1.JPG

Dex 3.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, pfrederi said:

DEXRON no "T"  (pet peeve of mine sorry)

OK,     OK,       I will write DEXRON on the blackboard 1,000 times!             :laughing-lettersrofl:

Related image

• Haha 3