ebinmaine

Where to add fuses to a B/C Series?

ebinmaine

I put a MAX60 fuse holder AS THE CABLE from battery to solenoid.

Seen here:

IMG_20190210_193117975.jpg.607c5a1ad7b440aad18d260b1e3e5106.jpg

I'm thinking of putting another smaller fuse somewhere else... OR... Run the power for the ignition switch B terminal right off the same post, at the solenoid.

(As seen in the above picture)

This would mean the whole system would be fed and protected by that 60 amp fuse.

Does it matter (if or where) there's another fuse?

gwest_ca

Fuses are to protect the wiring and if the wiring is sized correctly for the object being powered the fuse is ample for the object as well. On small draw circuits you can go to a smaller fuse but small fuses have a weaker element which can break from abuse rather than an overload.

Less than 10 feet of wire length

0 - 10 amps 16 gauge wire

10 - 15 amps 14 gauge wire

15 - 20 amps 12 gauge wire

20 - 50 amps 10 gauge wire

Have seen weak starter systems on small engines pull 100 amps and still start the engine so a 60 amp fuse may work but might not also. As voltage drops amperage goes up. That's what happens when it takes excessive cranking to start a motor. Don't know of any tractor or auto that fused the starter. Fuse the power to the ignition switch and then each circuit as it leaves the ignition switch to lights, radio and cigar lighter.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

squonk

Love the white/Linen motor! Need more pics :banana-gotpics:

ebinmaine

@gwest_ca thank you.

Great info as always.

18 minutes ago, squonk said:

Love the white/Linen motor! Need more pics :banana-gotpics:

Thank you sir!!

Check out my Cinnamon Horse thread...

There's a few more there.

Skip near to the end. Last couple pages?

953 nut

If your 14 gauge wire from the battery "+" terminal to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch is fused at twenty amps and the 12 gauge wire from the voltage regulator to the "R" terminal is fused at thirty amps the sources of power to the dashboard area will be covered. You should ad a fifteen amp fuse from the "A" terminal to the lights, volt meter etc. which will protect those wires and the switch if a shot were to develop in their wires.

Garry's explanation on the starter currant demand was a little off. A marginal or faulty starter will draw more currant because it's internal resistance has increased. 

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. ... More specifically, Ohm's law states that the R in this relation is constant, independent of the current

Image result for ohm's law

If your solenoid was under the dash or a three terminal key switch was used to activate the starter I would say that fuse is a must and should have been used from day one. In my opinion it is a good idea in all cases and doubt it will be a problem.

• Thanks 1