minotaur57

Irrigation pump front pulley attachment.

minotaur57

Anybody ever attach a water pump to the belt PTO?  This would be used to irrigate.  The tractor is a 314-8.

SAM_1340.JPG

The Tuul Crib

I'm sure it can be done . Someone might know better than I . Hopefully somebody will chime in 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

bc.gold

I had a 1.5" pto driven irrigation pump made by Monarch foundry in Manitoba, i gave the pump to a buddy on my last yard clean up and  do not have any pictures of the set up also have been unsuccessful at locating images using google image search.

Centrifugal pumps operate at a high rpm, usually coupled to an electric motor running 3150 rpm, in order to achieve this speed the pump that I had was over driven  via a large pulley on the input pto shaft with a serpentine style belt tightened with an idler having spring tension applied.

With the belt arrangement the pump was very compact once attached to the pto the pump was suspended by a chain to keep it aligned and to keep it from being spun around.

If you need assistance figuring out pulley sizes required to meet your rpm requirements try the engineers tool box

Here is another site that I find useful, http://www.calctool.org/CALC

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/

Home

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, minotaur57 said:

Anybody ever attach a water pump to the belt PTO?  This would be used to irrigate.  The tractor is a 314-8.

SAM_1340.JPG

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I've not personally seen it done with the front of a garden tractor but I don't know why with proper fabrication, it would not work.

oliver2-44

I borrowed these pictures of a Wheel Horse generator mount from the For Sale page. You could build a mount like this for a pump.  

64129423_whgeneratormountpic2.jpeg.b47d323b709d0a54ee6d3464d7ae8fc7.jpeg764566484_whgeneratormountpic3.jpeg.b22912a69720b0a1803acdf535d57be3.jpeg

1019731092_whgeneratormountpic1.jpeg.3523c4f321fa13493c4b5e4b92e0e7e5.jpeg

• Like 2

minotaur57

Thanks for all the help guys!  

SAM_1459.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, minotaur57 said:

Thanks for all the help guys!  

SAM_1459.JPG

Nice photographic eye there.

It's no secret around here that my Honey is the one who takes most of the pictures.

She said very nice...

minotaur57
On 2/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, bcgold said:

I had a 1.5" pto driven irrigation pump made by Monarch foundry in Manitoba, i gave the pump to a buddy on my last yard clean up and  do not have any pictures of the set up also have been unsuccessful at locating images using google image search.

Centrifugal pumps operate at a high rpm, usually coupled to an electric motor running 3150 rpm, in order to achieve this speed the pump that I had was over driven  via a large pulley on the input pto shaft with a serpentine style belt tightened with an idler having spring tension applied.

With the belt arrangement the pump was very compact once attached to the pto the pump was suspended by a chain to keep it aligned and to keep it from being spun around.

If you need assistance figuring out pulley sizes required to meet your rpm requirements try the engineers tool box

Here is another site that I find useful, http://www.calctool.org/CALC

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/

Home

Thank you bcgold!

• Thanks 1

minotaur57
On 2/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, ebinmaine said:

Nice photographic eye there.

It's no secret around here that my Honey is the one who takes most of the pictures.

She said very nice...

Thank your honey for the complement Eric.

• Thanks 1

ronhatch

About 25 years ago I bought a 2" trash pump from McMaster-Carr and mounted it to the front of my 867 WH. I had to have a cross over jackshaft so I could turn the pump 180 degrees around so it would turn in the right direction.  I had a double V belt from the engine to the jackshaft and an 1" wide 'H' timing belt from the shaft to the pump.   It had a 1:1 ratio by using all 3" diameter pulleys,  .  I had about 400' of old firehose from work that wouldn't pass inspection anymore for the outlet. It worked great for pumping water out of the nearby creek and watering my trees during a particular dry summer we had in northern IL.

Edited by ronhatch

bc.gold

An easy way to reverse the rotation on something that requires the oposite direction of the driven shaft and pulley is to put a twist into the belt.

bc.gold

I removed the top cover to show how the serpentine belt is installed on the Monarch pto driven irrigation water pump. Also give you an idea of how much the larger pulley overdrives the pump.

I'm guessing with an overdrive such as the Monarch pump is equipped with you could run your engine at a fast idle to achieve the required rpm's

To prime the pump install a foot valve then use a bilge pump to draw water into the pump.

The pump slides onto the tractors pto stub, no other drive-line is used.

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

dia.png

Edited by bcgold