MartyHorse

Starting a P220 on my workbench

MartyHorse

Hello, just bought a P220 from a Toro/Wheelhorse 520h. It's sitting on my workbench and I want to fire it up to see how it runs. I've looked at wiring diagrams to figure out the connector pins but am confused. Do I need to power anything in the multipin connector to start it? - thanks a bunch.

ohiofarmer

I would think that you would need to have all the safety switches wired into the connector.  There is at the minimum a safety switch under the PTO lever and also the seat.

There is a fuse or two as well.

MartyHorse

Yeah, I don't know what to bypass in the connector if anything. Is there an electric fuel pump?

Ed Kennell

The 520 has a vacuum operated fuel pump attached to the blower shroud.    You could buy a 12VAC pump for bench testing.   Make sure it is a low pressure (3PSI or less) pump.

• Like 1

MartyHorse

Thanks Ed, do I need to power any of the wires in the pin connector to run it? 

MartyHorse

I see there is a similar post on this: https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/77350-how-to-start-p220-onan-off-wh/?tab=comments#comment-748443

I'll follow those instructions, thanks.

• Like 3

cleat

The fuel pump if properly installed on the shroud should work fine, just put a hose from the bottom inlet to the pump into a container of gas.

Then, the battery + cable from the starter solenoid just connects to the + on a battery.

Connect a heavy gauge ground wire to an engine bolt then connect that to battery -.

The only wire in the 9 pin you really need to worry about is the yellow one going to the + terminal on the coil.

Connect that through a switch if possible then ideally through an inline 15A fuse to the + terminal on the battery. This will be the ignition switch.

You should connect the center lead on the voltage regulator through a 30A fuse to the + terminal on the battery just to protect the regulator (If you don't do this it likely will not be the end of the world).

Lastly, connect a wire from the small push on connector on the starter solenoid ideally through a momentary push button switch to the + terminal on the battery (this will be your starter switch).

To start the engine, just turn on the switch to the coil then crank the engine using the momentary switch to she starter solenoid.

To stop the engine, just turn off the switch to the coil.

You will need to figure out a way to operate the choke and throttle.

I would fasten the engine down to something to hold it from flipping over or falling down.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

KC9KAS

@MartyHorse :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

MartyHorse

Thanks for the all great detailed info and also the welcome!

953 nut

:WRS:

Sounds like @cleat has you covered on the whole operation.         :handgestures-thumbupright:               What model :wh: are you working on?    :wwp: