lae1967

Restoration Transmission Question

lae1967

After tearing up the frame rear mounting plate I found some good repair ideas here, I tackled that over the weekend (will do another post on that repair)  but after tearing it down to the frame so I could have better access to do all the welding I decided to go ahead with a full restoration.  It's a1976 B-60 (has a K341 in it now) 61-07K801 with the 5091 transmission that was originally my dad's.  The only issue I know of at his time with the transmission is it leaks so I obviously need to replace seals and gasket.  My question is should I go ahead and get kit #5 from wheelhorsepartsandmore.com?  I'm thinking since it will be open I should go ahead and replace bearings etc and maybe even the shift fork since it has 43 years of use on it.  What have you guys done proactively on yours?

Thanks

Larry

• Like 2

prondzy

A bearing kit from Lowell (WH parts and more)  would be a great idea because your already going after a leak, as far and transmission components i.e. shift forks and gears i would wait till you have it open to determine if you can find a better used part to replace with if necessary.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, prondzy said:

A bearing kit from Lowell (WH parts and more)  would be a great idea because your already going after a leak, as far and transmission components i.e. shift forks and gears i would wait till you have it open to determine if you can find a better used part to replace with if necessary.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@lae1967 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

2 hours ago, lae1967 said:

It's a1976 B-60 (has a K341 in it now) 61-07K801 with the 5091 transmission that was originally my dad's.

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Always love to hear of a Wheel Horse staying in the family. We have a thread going on "Vintage Pictures" on this site. If you have a oicture of your dad or others driving the B-60 it would be cool to post them there. 

I would put off buying parts until you have taken the transmission apart and know what parts are needed. Lowell is very prompt in shipping parts so there wouldn't be a big delay. Here is a thread on the rebuilding of a six speed very much like your transmission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

I wouldn't assume you need new bearings. You don't need to open it up to replace all the seals but it wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect it. At that point you could determine if you need internal parts. I have a 1976 that I bought new as a B-80 and also put a K341 on it. I worked it extremely hard until 2000 when we moved to Florida. Then we moved back up here 17 years later and through a wild set of circumstances I got my favorite tractor back. Last summer I opened the transmission up to inspect it and there was absolutely nothing needed. I closed her up, new seals all around and she's good to go. :)

:wwp:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ACman

listen to these fellas . As long as no water has made its way in there you’ll probably be surprised how things look .

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Always love to hear of a Wheel Horse staying in the family. We have a thread going on "Vintage Pictures" on this site. If you have a oicture of your dad or others driving the B-60 it would be cool to post them there. 

I would put off buying parts until you have taken the transmission apart and know what parts are needed. Lowell is very prompt in shipping parts so there wouldn't be a big delay. Here is a thread on the rebuilding of a six speed very much like your transmission.

This is a great video !!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

lae51967

Thanks for the input guys, I'll crack it open this weekend too see what I've got and go from there. It was out of the weather most of it's life but I know a few years it sat outside intermittently at dad's before I inherited it. Hasn't spent a night outside since 2003 and since 2014 been in a heated garage.  Apparently I don't have many photos of it, Two from 2017 when I had the engine out for a re-build and then two weeks ago when I broke the frame and started down this road.  It's in pieces at the moment.

20161226_1820022.jpg

20161226_1820092.jpg

20190112_163859.jpg

Edited by lae51967
Photos
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

Just a note - those chains may have been part of the cause of the rear frame breaking. With that spacing between the cross-links, the wheels can slip pretty hard, then shock loads the gears and frame when one of those cross-links grabs the ground. 4-link style and whatever the spacing on your current setup can really abuse the driveline parts - I'd recommend switching it to a 2-link style or the H-pattern style chains. Those keep the traction more consistent and help prevent shock loading the tractor. I'm sure you also know - ramming into snow piles is also a no-no and should be avoided. 

Just an fyi - not a lecture.

Sarge

• Like 2

lae1967

Thanks for the chain tips, not taken as a lecture.... The older I get the more I realize how much I don't know or think about...

• Like 3

bunson70

What size and brand are the rear tires? 

lae1967
On 2/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, bunson70 said:

What size and brand are the rear tires? 

My dad put those on back in the late 70's or early 80's they are Firestone All Traction Field & Road 23 x 8.5-12.  I can only find field tractor sizes now so I doubt they are still made.

• Like 2

McGrew

I agree with 953 and others on waiting to order parts until you tear it down.  I started out planning  to replace seals in my 71 Raider 10.  The trans showed no signs of failure other than oil leakage, but once I split the cases, I found bearings missing rollers and a broken pinion carrier.  Needless to say, I replaced all the bearings and seals as well as the pinion carrier.  Stevasaurus’s video is a great tutorial if you have never done one of these transaxles.  Danny

• Like 2

lae1967

Well I opened the trans case.  Could only get the right hub off, so had to pull the differential along with the left side of the case.  Took differential apart and will need to use hydraulic press to get the left hub off and check the key etc.  

The left input shaft bearing needles fell out while cleaning (also found some grit in the area) and the right input shaft bearing needles stayed in place but there is a needle missing, I never found it unless it was in the case and I thought it came from the left bearing (not sure how others stay in place but one fell out)

Anyway I went ahead and ordered a whole kit so I'd have everything encase I found more issues as I get deeper into it.  Since I'll be set up to press those two bearings would you guys go ahead and replace the others?  OR  just hold onto the other bearings for future need?

Thanks

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'd say if you bought them all and have them...go ahead and put them in.  Save the good ones you pull out.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

lae1967
52 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'd say if you bought them all and have them...go ahead and put them in.  Save the good ones you pull out.  :occasion-xmas:

That's what I was thinking. I've watched all your videos which were of great help. Any other tricks or things to watch for while replacing other bearings?  Looks like the original gasket didn't have any type of coating/sealant, do you use anything besides the gasket? I'd be kicking myself if I have a leak after all of this, but don't want to use something I shouldn't either.