Firebug

D 200 disappointment

Pollack Pete
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Firebug said:

I’ll get it, just going to take some trial and error, just didn’t want to have to pay someone to plow my driveways when I have a machine that’s more than capable of doing it. I didn’t have any issues with my d160 last year save for the motor letting go. But I did have the chains on it last year. Thought the gas would dig like the chains. But at least I didn’t scatter my motor this time 👍

4BCD91FC-6E1A-4AAE-8256-BCF0E9C078B3.jpeg

Now that's a vented crankcase!!!

Sarge

One of the best solutions - and more commonly used than you'd think is to run turfs and chains in the winter. A dedicated set of snow tires, in a way. Personally, I run ag tires with chains and weights all year round. It works pretty good but could be better, to say the least. When my chain sets wear out they are getting replaced with Euro pattern instead of the standard straight-across 2-link chains. The reason for that is not only forward/reverse traction but an effort to reduce side slip, especially if/when it does spin a tire. Almost every time I've gotten a tractor stuck it was due to being on a slight side slope - tires spin just a bit and it buries itself instantly. Reversing is always a problem as well since in that direction the front tires can act as an anchor - the natural function of an open differential will cause the tractor to walk sideways to the left and at times has caused a problem getting it stuck. 

After dealing with the really crazy frozen slush/snow/ice mix we got from the last storm yesterday - I really do need more weight on the rear and even some on the front as well. The modified 56" blade isn't helping the problem since raising it further removes weight off the rear axle. Ran into a lot of steering track issues yesterday due to the underlying ice - not the tractor's fault but just some really bad conditions to plow. Guys with blowers yesterday were blowing shear pins left and right from chunks of frozen mix jamming up their augers tight. The guy that runs around town with the newer JD and single stage blower took to carrying a crowbar with him - think he spent more time removing ice chunks than clearing driveways, lol. What I'm getting at is there is no generic solution for all conditions. Most times my ags/chains work perfectly - except on clear pavement where they like to spin and eat up asphalt. They also leave some amazing marks on concrete as well, but for what I need overall they work good enough. On ice and hard pack snow the chains do fine - until you scrape the pavement clean, then they will actually create a spinning problem. Studded tires will do the same thing. Yes, the real cure is a lot of weight - but that comes at a price of potential damage to the equipment. You just have to figure out what works for you, your location and the conditions/jobs you'll be working with, then go from there.

Sarge

pfrederi

I only have one horse that gets used year round..the L-107.  She runs AGs spring summer fall but when the ground freezes she gets her turfs and chains. I put studs in the rear hubs and use lug nuts so swapping tires is a quick easy project.  In my opinion there is no one type fits all conditions tire.

Firebug

Thanks Sarge. I think right now my best option is a set of turf tires dedicated for plowing. I have the 15 inch rims with the ags on it. But I have rims and chains for the 26 inch tires on12 inch rims. I’m trying to track down the tires and those can be my dedicated plow tires. I do have a bunch of weights, just need to make a drawbar style setup to put them on the 3 point. I think that should get me started plowing again then I can play with the amount of weight and the distribution of it to find the best setup

Firebug

So after searching for a few days I stumbled across a set of 26-12-12 tires. However they are aggressive atv tires. But the size is right to put my chains on. Best part is they were only used for about a month and I got the pair for only $50. I remember plowing with my atv when I still had it and I never had any issues pushing anything. No extra weight and it weighed about 250 pounds less than my d 200. The big difference was it had a solid rear axle so both rear wheels were pushing instead of one. Should get it all setup this weekend so we shall see how it goes

• Like 2

Sarge

If nothing else, you could try just hanging some concrete blocks off the back and test the tires you have on it now - might make a world of difference. I know on my 1277 and the C-160, fluid filling the tires made it like night and day - enough pushing power to break the 1277's frame plate, again - lol.

Sarge

Firebug

I do have the tires filled, I do think the weight is an issue

Sarge

If you've fluid filled those tires, weight isn't the problem - its the tread pattern slipping on ice/packed snow. 

Here are some chain options -

https://www.tirechain.com/atv26X12x12.htm

https://www.tirechain.com/26X12x12.htm

Notice one style is ATV tires, the other styles are tractor type tires.

This is one of my most favored designs - not a bad price, either -

https://www.tirechainsonline.com/ATV-Tire-Chain-Diamond-Studded-p/atv3dv.htm

Sarge

Firebug

I have a set of 2 link chains, but they don’t for the tires I have on it. I should get my new tires back Monday that will fit the chains. I’ll fill those and get them on and then it should all just be a matter of weight

Firebug

I think my problem is solved. Got a set of Sedona mud rebel atv tires, filled with 5 gallons of washer fluid in each and put my chains on. Still need to get them on the tractor but I have no doubt these will work better than the ag tires. Still working on the weight bar for the 3 point. 

27C55F27-C606-46EF-854F-9AF3ACC4ACBA.jpeg

• Like 2

Sarge

You can easily convert those chains to the 2-link style if you want - just need the end links and some decent, hardened 2/0 twist link -

https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chains-Parts.htm

I've bought replacement end links from them, as well as the medium truck style chain tool for opening and closing the links - it's not the most well-built tool, but it does the job. I just scored a roll of 2/0 twist link off Ebay, not fully hardened but for $30 it can be changed out as needed with the extra supply on hand now. 

The reason I bring it up - 4 link style chains and that larger space between the cross-links can create a shock load problem. I've seen quite a few folks break hubs, axles and damage rear end gears with those when they slip, then suddenly grab violently and shock the drivetrain. The big thing with the D series is you don't want a shock load going back into the pump coupling between the pump and engine - the coupling will strip the splines eventually. No new parts available, so keep that in mind as it can become a very big problem to repair it. As you probably already know - don't ram into banks, that leads to expensive parts.

Those tires look pretty beefy - should work well with enough weight.

How is the cutting edge on the blade? It can make a big difference in how well it can cut the packed material loose to move it and the stock one can be flipped over.

Sarge

Firebug

Thanks Sargent, I had considered purchasing 2 link chains but went with these since I had them from an old parts tractor I bought a few years back. I’ll look into converting them. The cutting edge is still good. I don’t thing th po used it much and I only plowed once last year before the motor lot go

Firebug

So here is my next attempt at weight for plowing. I picked up 12 of these donut weights from a buddy for $5 each. They each weigh right around 16 pounds. My dad had this bar made up at his company to go in the 3 point arms. I’m figuring I could put 7-8 donuts on it. That should be enough weight for plenty of traction

B8BCA471-E4B4-4905-9D11-975916A292FC.jpeg

• Like 1

cschannuth

That extra weight will make all the difference in the world.  I push snow with ags and turfs and have never had an issue on my concrete drive.  I tried chains one season but took them off since they would spin on my steep concrete drive.  Ice would be a different story but for snow wheel weights, fluid, and my big butt work great.

DennisThornton

Chains!  Snow's worst enemy! 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Thanks 1

Firebug

Got my weight bar installed on the 3 point today. Really helped even with the ag tires. Still need to put my chains on but I could tell a difference in the spots where the driveway was still ice covered

BECDFF41-47EE-4E75-A98B-269844AB4B6D.jpeg

• Like 4