bottjernat1

Wheel Horse Rare and or odd Motors!

bottjernat1

One that is always wanting to learn something new. What is the oddest motor and or rarest motor ever put on a Wheel horse? I am also wondering because i have several Wisconsin motors my late dad had i know some can be used on the beaver garden tractors i kept of his. but wondered if wheel horse ever used one!

gwest_ca

The early Senior models in the 1950's used Wisconsin engines and after Robin was added to the name one landed on the 512-D in 1986 sipping diesel fuel. A member in Finland has one that appears to be a 1987 model by serial number but no info to back that up.

Garry

• Like 2

ebinmaine

In model year 1974 only, the C160 had some tractors with a Tecumseh engine instead of a Kohler.

Wheelhorse did not have enough 16 hp Kohlers to finish building the line of C160s that year.

I don't know what the reasoning was. 

• Like 1

WHNJ701

how uncommon are the hh55 lauson/tech on my 551?

formariz
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

how uncommon are the hh55 lauson/tech on my 551?

I don't know if they actually fall in the "rare" category but they are definitely uncommon. Contributing to it is the fact that many opt to scrap them when things go wrong. Their production run was really only a few years really being replaced by the H60 which is nearly identical except for not having an oil pump like the h55.

• Like 1

ericj
On 1/16/2019 at 1:58 PM, ebinmaine said:

In model year 1974 only, the C160 had some tractors with a Tecumseh engine instead of a Kohler.

Wheelhorse did not have enough 16 hp Kohlers to finish building the line of C160s that year.

I don't know what the reasoning was. 

i remember something about Kohler being on strike, so wheel horse couldn't get motors, not sure if it is true or not, maybe someone can search records and find out it they where on strike or not

eric j 

buckrancher

none of the motors were rare when they were installed new 

but now I would have to say the H55 tech/lauson is the most rare to get your hands on of made in the usa tractors  all the others briggs,kohler, clintons and techys are fairly easy to find

Brian

• Like 1