JCM

Any Heavy Equipment Operators Out There.

JCM

172493751_BigBoy1A.jpg.a0786641e52966b5475260291d448803.jpg 

My thoughts were that anyone who enjoys WH must also like heavy equipment.

Unfortunatley my father passed in 1983 when I was 25 and many questions I have about these machines has gone unanswered.He would have been 100 this november.

Dad was a member of local 4 in boston.In his early days he started with bulldozers,cranes,front end loaders and then to his favorite the Bucyrus Erie 61-B shovel. He mainly worked in quarries and not out on the road, he did work with the bulldozer in the construction of the runways at Logan airport in Boston.

Dad became ill at 53 and worked to the best of his ability, treatments  and all and had to retire at 62, spent 1 year in the hospital and passed at 63. Not much of a retirement.

I would like to know what engines would have been in these machines as well as the designations of 61-b& 475 A, also roughly the model years.By the looks  of the Bay City shovel it appears to be new ?

Thank You guy ' s in advance for any  info you have, it is much appreciated  and enjoy these old pictures.      P.S.  Enjoy life while your healthy.

Big Boy Toys 2.jpg

Big Boy 1.jpg

Big Boy 2.jpg

Big Boy 2A.jpg

Big Boy Toys 1.jpg

Big Boy Toys 4.jpg

Big Boy Toys 5.jpg

Big Boy Toys 6.jpg

Jim Dad.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

wallfish

Thanks for sharing! Sorry about the loss of your father.

I know member @AMC RULES does heavy equipment.

There's old equipment like that still running at the Zagray Farm Museum, down in the back at the big boy sand box. I like to watch that old winch and cable bucket operate. Bet those guys might be able to answer some questions.  http://www.qvea.org/

If you can get down to one of the engine shows in Colchester CT, you can talk directly with the old timer who's out there operating it. The engine shows there are always one of the best around with lots to do and see. A few of us RS members get together down there.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mikey the Monkey

1 things for sure, he had fun at work, back when men were men. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

Found this. Some OLD SCHOOL stuff

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

I am a heavy equipment operator for 30+ years. As kid my family had a cable operated Caterpillar D-7 and a Bucyrus Erie friction crane. I remember riding with the operators as a child and absolutely loving it. This is why upon my graduating high school I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Although I cannot help you with what engines power those shovels, I certainly do appreciate the pictures! 

• Excellent 1

953 nut

Thanks for telling us about your dad and sharing the :text-coolphotos:

There is an area at the Florida Flywheelers Park where vintage heavy equipment is working during each show, love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Thanks for sharing the photos!

• Thanks 1

JerryB

Hello and sorry for the loss of your father. I run heavy equipment for local 150 in Chicago. I love those old school machines. Nowadays machines are much more user friendly. I took true men to run those machines. Thanks for the pics. 

Jerry

• Thanks 1

aghead

Nice old photos. Operating heavy equip has enticed every little boy since it came into existence. Big boys 'ain't' no different.

I've owned const business for 30 yrs now. Even Doctors, bankers, lawyers, etc have drooled  and lusted over even just sitting on my equip while I was working for them.

I never turned a kid away from sitting on my lap while we dozed or dug some dirt. .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

My favorite Pageant of Steam  show of all time. Historical construction equipment was the feature. I sat there for hours watching! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

I own a Ford 455 TLB and a 855 Bobcat  if that counts.

4 stick controls on the back hoe rock!  I cannot tell you which stick does what, but after operating it for a number of hours, suddenly you forget what each stick does and that is when it gets fun.... Us old farts call the joystick controls video gamers

• Haha 1

bc.gold

When most large equipment is sold when new the customer will have an options list to choose an engine of his preference and budget, with the introduction of  the SAE bell-housing you can mate any industrial engine to any transmission, pto take off, generator etc.

Heavy equipment from the 1950's used the popular Buda or Murphy diesel engines.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/understanding-bellhousing-and-flywheel-measurements/

buda.png

sae.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

I've been hopping back and fourth between these little guys for the past week...

20190116_093616.jpg.d162631b2b2cab25ea78fb7531402d96.jpg

tomorrow night, I'll transition to the snow removal equipment straight through the weekend.  :handgestures-thumbdown:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1