Mows4three

17 hp Koehler Twin in a C-175

Mows4three

Need somebody to weigh in...

Does anyone have a strong opinion, one way or the other, about a 17 HP Kohler twin motor or a C-175 Wheel Horse with an 8 speed transmission? 

I know where there is one sitting and I think the owner will part with it for the right price but I don't know too much about either the motor or this model tractor.  

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Dave

Blackhood Bill

Well With what little knowledge I have and the experience with different engines. Kohler can't go wrong.:dance:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Series 1 KT 17s have had major reliability issues due to a weak oiling system.  High failure rate lead John Deere to stop using Kohler for awhile.

Series II KTs have a full pressure lube system and are excellent engines.

A spec number higher than 24300 is a Series II

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
49 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

Need somebody to weigh in...

Does anyone have a strong opinion, one way or the other, about a 17 HP Kohler twin motor or a C-175 Wheel Horse with an 8 speed transmi

I've  been mowing with a 417H with a 48" deck for a couple years. It runs great and sounds as strong as the Onan in the 520.

But, like Paul said,  It looks like the C-175 had the series I and the 417 had the series II.

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I've  been mowing with a 417H with a 48" deck for a couple years. It runs great and sounds as strong as the Onan in the 520.

But, like Paul said,  It looks like the C-175 had the series I and the 417 had the series II.

Ed is correct C-175 had series 1...but I picked up one that had a series II. It is gray (meaning service engine) but the Spec number shows it was made for WH.  i have to assume that WH ordered some Series 2  for dealers to use to replace failed Series 1.  Good will  or Warranty i have no clue.

• Like 1

Skipper

I have 5 horses with KT series 1 engines. None of them has less then 1200 hours on the meter. A couple of them on the far side of 2500. Yes the series 1 was not the best lubricated engine, but well maintained, and a few preemptive to doos, and they run fine. Should you bust one, change it out for a 2 series or magnum, which is basically the same engines, and you are OK. If the engine runs good in the one you found, that should not be what holds you off from a C175. When I first tried a horse with a KT, there was no way back. To me, nothing compares, and yes, it's a matter of taste too. :-)

C 1x5 series rock if you ask me. Not too old, well functioning, well dimensioned, has all you need, and not burdened with too many "extras" that has a tendency to cause problems. Plain simple and rock solid. My horse of choice bar none.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mows4three

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I’ll see if I can get the number off of the engine and hope it’s a series II motor.  

I dont know any of the service history and I doubt the current owner does.  Buying used is always a crap shoot so I want to even the odds as much as possible.  

Regards and thanks again!

Dave 

pfrederi

Like Skipper I have a high hour Series 1, it came out of a JD 317.  Way over 2000 hours.  Smokes a bit an start up and I only use it a few hours a year but no problems.  It was used on fairly level land and my brother maintained his equipment.  If it runs keep it off steep hills and maybe even keep her a bit overfull on oil and it may last you along time.

• Like 3