Sign in to follow this  
Horse Fanatic

Couple 520 H Questions

Horse Fanatic

I'm working on an 88 520H and I have some parts from a later one. I noticed the length of the arm on the lift lever (that connects to the hydraulic piston) is longer than the newer one I have. Looking on the parts viewer I noticed they started using the shorter arm lift lever in 1990. Was the reason for this to get more lift? Then I noticed in 1991 they used a bell crank with a shorter arm on one end, perhaps the additional lift was too much?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should use the later lift lever and possibly the later bellcrank.

Second, I have a set of later hydraulic lines, the two longer ones are metal instead of rubber and I was going to use them. However I didn't get the fittings to connect them to the hydraulic valve, filter and pump. On Parts tree I see they sell for $19 each. They look like common copper flare fittings only made of steel. Is this something available at the hardware store or is there something special about them? Also, it looks like they use a o-ring on the parts viewer?

Thanks,

Glenn

Operator

The hyd. fittings aren't the same as copper ones they will be steel with o-ring I get mine at Napa type store , in that $6.00 type range.

Can't help to much on the lift linkage I've got two 520H s but in the 90's the earlier ones were a bit different with the set-back axle and steering system. A longer lift arm would give more lift easier.

Randy

Horse Fanatic

It looks like they switched from longer arm to shorter in 1990. So shorter would have less machanical advantage and make it more difficult to lift. The only advantage I can see is it would lift higher, right?

Operator

A shorter arm would give more "power" to lift but a longer arm would give more

"height" . Kind of like arm wrestling :omg: Kind of understand my way of thinkin?

Randy

Horse Fanatic

Well, no actually. Here is how I see it. Assuming the hydraulic piston moves the same distance, if it pushes a shorter arm, the shaft it's connected to would rotate more than if it pushes a longer arm. If the shaft rotates more, then the bellcrank on the shaft is going to move more and lift an attachment higher.

Operator

You got it right, longer arm higher lift. A fulcrum thing.

Is something not lifting or not fitting right on the 520?

Randy

Horse Fanatic

What I was originally wondering is, I have the original longer lift lever and a newer shorter one. I've never used this tractor yet as I got it with a bad engine so I don't know if there are issues with the lift height. Assuming WH had a good reason to shorten the arm on the lift lever in 1990, would it be advantageous to use the newer one on my '88?

Also, is there a specific name for those hydraulic fittings for the metal tubing?

Thanks!

Glenn

Operator

Morning! I myself would go with the longer one, height. The fittings are just o-ring style high pressure hyd. fittings. You can remove the fittings from valve take them and the lines your putting in and take to parts store [napa] they should fix you up. That is what I did on my C-160, I pulled the fittings out and had some lines made up then went home and put it all back together. The two outside lines are different [bigger] than the two ram lines.

Randy

Horse Fanatic

Thanks Randy.

I'm going to change to the newer style lift arm and I'm going to look for those fittings tomorrow.

Operator

I just got my new catalog from Surplus Center in their cat. you can check on the fittings you need and the prices, you'll be amazed at at the difference.

www.surpluscenter.com

Punch in Hydraulic fittings.

Randy