Sign in to follow this  
Skipper

Kohler KT modified for oil pressure gauge. Info needed

Skipper

Hi good people.

In order to preserve my 84, C195 as good as I can, I try to come up with ways to notice problems before they turn into a big mess.

So I got the idea (among many) to put an oil pressure sensor on a KT19. (or any KT)

I have a few engines sitting in the shop, but I have never had a KT taken much apart. So instead of just tearing into on, I figured someone might have intimate knowledge to share.

My idea was that it might be possible to make a connection point somewhere close after the oil pump. Simply tap into a channel to connect the pressure sensor. It would be simple to see the possibilities or impossibilities, with an engine taken apart, but I honestly don't fancy the idea of stripping one down, just to find out it can't be done.

Any and all input is appreciated :-)

Thanks

• Like 1

Pullstart

I found this on a google search, then found the manual.

do you have a pressure tap above the filter like the picture here?

6D37C6CB-770E-471D-877D-37E05575270B.png

• Like 2

pfrederi

If your engine is an original Spec# 49146  it is a series 1.  Manual says it only makes about 5 psi.  Not even clear if you have the tap mentioned above that is on SeriesII engines.  Keep it topped off stay off hills for xtended periods and don't worry about it.

• Like 2

Skipper

It's a series 1, and it does not have filter but the protrusion where the tap is, is there, just not drilled and tapped. Guess I could go inn that way, but 5 psi ain't much. Doubt I could easily find a gauge to accommodate that low of a pressure.

Yeah I know the ground rules on keeping the KT's running ;-)  just think it could be a neat little thing, being able to monitore the pressure.

Edited by Skipper

Skipper

So I found all the service and owners manuals for series 1 and 2 and the magnum equivalents. The Series 1 made about 5 psi, The series 2 from 25-50. And the magnums after them made about the same as Series 2.

Also notised that the series 2 could be had with an oil filter, that fits the same adapter as the Magnum engine. Meaning that a series 2 can run a standard oilfilter setup, or a relocated oil filter setup from the magnums accessory list, and an oil cooler on that line.

I do not think I will bother much more with a pressure gauge setup on a series 1, when the obvious choice would be an engine swap to a newer (but very much almost identical) engine, once the old girl is worn out. Heck, that might even be for the grand children to figure out :-). Better get some stuff stockpiled :D

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1