ebinmaine

Patterns or methods to move the snow bank at the end of the driveway from the street plow?

JoeM

EB I can see this baby coupled to a Chevy small block, rock crusher transmission, zoom pipes!

Max's Daddy!

My only issue is we get very little snow. 3-4 is about all.  We will get 5-6 but that takes all week off and on. Got a couple feet once but that was freak. Bought a snow blower cheep on CL a couple years ago. Used it twice, once was legit, the second time was to see if it would run. Pretty much just use a plow, man plow and shovel.

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

Here's another option for you..

My Charger 12 Plow moves more snow than that thing.  The Electro16 blower works much deeper drifts.....

• Like 1

953 nut

Eric, on the evening news they were saying you may be getting 30" of snow Sunday/Monday, best strategy may be to hop on a flight to Florida for a few days.            :ychain:       The pile left by the snow plow will be about six feet.         :crying-yellow:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Eric, on the evening news they were saying you may be getting 30" of snow Sunday/Monday, best strategy may be to hop on a flight to Florida for a few days.            :ychain:       The pile left by the snow plow will be about six feet.         :crying-yellow:

Yeah this one definitely has potential to be pretty wicked.

Looks like we'll be putting the snowblowers to test along with the plows.

One of the big challenges here in Maine is that there's only about 50 air miles between the warm ocean air and the higher elevation mountains.

I was looking at some of the reports earlier today and this storm is going to be too close to call almost right up until it is on top of us.

Seems pretty sure we're going to get at least 8 to 12 inches... but if it goes as little as 50 miles out to sea we could get buried with closer to a foot and a half. That 30 inch possibility is about 2 hours north of us up in the bigger mountains.

Which by the way, is where we want to move!

• Like 2

Sarge

One thing I forgot to mention -

When you finish a pass, make sure to lift up on the blade right before you stop - otherwise, you will create a frozen wall that will be nearly impossible to break loose later if you need more room. All of my tractors that have plows have a hydraulic lift, so that makes it easier. With the lift and the right timing and conditions, I can easily build ramps of snow piles and later use those to put additional snowfall up and over the existing pile. Now, there can be a problem here - if that front axle sinks into the ramp you can get stuck, badly. If the pile can't support the front end weight when the blade is lifted, I just stop there and leave it alone to freeze later. I've had the 1277 stuck pretty badly a few times, but those front tires are loaded and that one seems quite nose heavy for whatever reason. The big D is better, but it has a lot more overall weight and brute force to pull itself out, although it does need more rear axle weight since it likes to spin out easily. Wish I could either adapt a limited slip rear axle into it or a locking differential - that would make it a lot better but that one has other design flaws that are far weaker, so I've just left it alone. 

This storm that is coming could bring us here up to a foot - the jury is still out. In our section of the country the wind will be the biggest problem as well as the extreme cold that is coming along with the storm. If nothing else, my son in law has his plow mounted on the pickup - so I could care less, lol. I spend more time heating up the old shed and the big D just to get it started on the 30w oil than I like, but running that K482 on 10w30 leads to a lot of oil consumption and it seems like the engine just doesn't like that weight, so I stick to the 30w recommendation and use the heater instead. The issues with Raynaud's has taken away any real time or fun spent out in the cold anyway - so when it's rotten outside I just let the younger guys handle it.

In your area, with those conditions, I'd say you're best bet would be to own a 2-stage blower - and a tractor capable of handling that heavy beast.

Sarge

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

best bet would be to own a 2-stage blower - 

For at least this snow season we are using two walk behind snow blowers when the snow is more than 6 or 8" deep and then I go back and scrape it with the plow blade to clean up what the snowblower leaves behind.

Retrofitting my 38" wide snowblower so it will be on the front of a tractor may be on the table as a summer project.

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Retrofitting my 38" wide snowblower so it will be on the front of a tractor may be on the table as a summer project.

I'm game, I'll help you from here as much as I can...im sure @Machineguy Bob will too.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Much appreciated Jeff.

Thank you.

Bob too!

• Excellent 1