Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, all. A common thing for us to do in my old engine hobby is clean up faded paint and preserve it with Penetrol or boiled Linseed Oil. Did a few searches but couldn't find much. Has anyone tried it on their 'Horses? How does it hold up to water, etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
35 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Hello, all. A common thing for us to do in my old engine hobby is clean up faded paint and preserve it with Penetrol or boiled Linseed Oil. Did a few searches but couldn't find much. Has anyone tried it on their 'Horses? How does it hold up to water, etc? 

Me personally lmo l would use linseed oil. I'm a wood craftsman and linseed oil is a good surface protection but if you use it be sure NOT to throw your rags away after use in the garbage because they can cause a fire. Drape them on the edge of the can to dry out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Me personally lmo l would use linseed oil. I'm a wood craftsman and linseed oil is a good surface protection but if you use it be sure NOT to throw your rags away after use in the garbage because they can cause a fire. Drape them on the edge of the can to dry out.

Haha, I know that issue all too well. Our local FD burnt down some years ago from that very reason. My engines mostly stay indoors and are looked after. My WH still gets used quite a lot. How does it seem to hold up durability wise? It does stay in a shed but it will get dirty/wet a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

 I think it would all depend on the use of the tractor.  Depending on use I would probably apply it say every 3 to 4 months . Eventually it should soak in and last a little longer 

Edited by The Tool Crib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I don't use  linseed oil , but I do use chain and cable fluid on my metal horse, it looks fresh and the fluid is a great rust preventative , it also sheds water very well. the oil feeds the surface finish, pete 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, peter lena said:

I don't use  linseed oil , but I do use chain and cable fluid on my metal horse, it looks fresh and the fluid is a great rust preventative , it also sheds water very well. the oil feeds the surface finish, pete 

As with any treatment that has an oil base will do the same. It all comes down to the quality and density of the oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

To those who did Linseed oil, is it safe to go over the decals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 1/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, jabelman said:

Johnsons paste wax worked great on my 701

:text-yeahthat:I've done this to a couple of my tractors, makes for a nice shine and any water beads up, and the waxed areas clean up real easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×