dells68

Out with the new, in with the old!

953 nut

The smaller (K-141, K-161) engines didn't have a mechanical fuel pump. The pump appeared to be the same from the exterior, but the diaphragm was moved by the internal pressure changes in the crank case as the piston traveled up and down. That Sears pump will get the job done.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Great pump idea!  Emory will be on my mind today.  I hope you find the strength to endure the pain of watching your son’s experience Dell and While you’re driving right now, I hope all is well in the travels.

• Heart 1

dells68

Unless you are dead set on an original look or have a never ending supply of original vacuum pumps, I highly suggest you try one of these little Briggs pulse pumps.  Got this one off of eBay for about $6. It was what the doctor ordered for this little motor.  Starts great and purrs like a kitten.  I didn’t even wear any of the skin from my hand or get a bad back starting it this time or use too many 4 letter words!  Hardest part was pulling it enough times to fill the lines and float bowl.  Now, I can get the rims painted and finish it up.  Right now, I’m helping Emory on the old push mower project he’s started.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

dells68

Couple of pics of Emory working on his push mower.

9715C08A-A2B6-409E-B15E-0B3C0CE18677.jpeg

6F641427-E3CD-4813-B7A1-77656F84FC49.jpeg

• Excellent 6
  • Thanks 2

oldredrider

Dell, if you ever need to prime the filter and lines again, remove the spark plug first. The B and S pumps work off of crankcase pressure. No compression necessary. Much easier to yank it over since there isn't a compression release on that model engine. 

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks @oldredrider!  You remember what a fit that little guy gave us at the show (the tractor - not Emory😉).  Now, she fires with usually one pull when warm.  Haven’t had another chance to start it cold, but she still seems like she likes a couple pulls with choke and then pull with very little throttle.  I remembered to pull it to start on the compression stroke.  Makes me appreciate a compression release!

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, oldredrider said:

if you ever need to prime the filter and lines again,

Just pull the fuel line off at the carburetor, place it in a can then apply a little air pressure to the tank filler neck. Fuel will flow harmlessly through the check valves in the pump and  fill the system.

• Like 1

rjg854

Looking really good,  that patina is very fitting :text-bravo:and the black wheels set it off ;)

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Looks sharp with the rims blacked out, is that a dealer tag on the hood?

• Thanks 1

dells68

That is actually an old Pontiac dealer sticker on the hood.  We left it because it tells part of the tractor’s history.  Don’t know if anyone noticed, but I found a 1 piece tank and put on it.  I put a new gasket on the old tank and it still started leaking after sitting a few days.  It had a few old repairs and I think there might have been some hairline cracks.  I had sealed the tank with sealer and it failed.  Someone had made a replacement bottom when they fixed the tank and it seemed to cause the failure.  I sealed a 754 tank at the same time and it is fine.  I painted a “patina” on the tank and it looks pretty good with the theme Emory picked.  I wanted to paint the wheels white, but Emory insisted on black.  I can’t take credit for the wheels, that was all Emory.  Boy knows what he wants!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

12Horse Paladin

I think Emory has great taste; I LIKE the look of those wheels!:handgestures-thumbup:

In fact; that whole tractor looks sweet; I like the "look" ...maybe I might try that on my recent find, if I go that far...

You're right about that sticker; the look does it, too....the stories these machines could tell!....and the patina/scars are part of those stories...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

You guys done real good on this one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

I know everybody love them some ags, but I've always been a big fan of those skinny turf tires on the rear of our :wh: round hoods too.

You built a really cool tractor there Emory. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

You built a really cool tractor there Emory. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Craig.  Every decision on this one was Emory’s choice.  He enjoys fixing things his own way, even though I don’t always agree with his choices.  I’m proud of him and the fact that he has the interest and know what he wants!

• Like 3