6wheeler

Montgomery Wards sewing machine

6wheeler

Are you guys thinking, "what the****"? I suppose this could go into O.B.'s too. Anyway, here goes. Mrs. Wheeler acquired an old MW Signature model URR 285 sewing machine. I cleaned it all up and lubed it. Who knew I was a sewing machine repairman😅? But? Houston, we have a problem.:eusa-think:....I only have one bobbin for it . The bobbin number is 1557. I can't seem to find any👎. So. In order for me to maintain my hero 💃status? Do any of you fine folks have an idea of where I may find one? 😬. Yes. I am begging. Perhaps this will help. It does seem to be a class 15. But. It has a 3/8" thread gap. Thanks  Pat

pfrederi

Wards didn't build sewing machines...neither did sears but my MIL had one, it is up in the trailer.  What does your bobbin look like.  Maybe Wards and Sears bought them from the same company???

953 nut

I think the older residential machines all used the standard bobbin. If this is what you want it should be available at any sewing shop.61sI4rUTHIL._SL1010_.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

6wheeler
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I think the older residential machines all used the standard bobbin. If this is what you want it should be available at any sewing shop.61sI4rUTHIL._SL1010_.jpg

Yes. They do look similar. But. The space between the 2 plates needs to be 3/8" of an inch wide. The class 15s I picked up are too narrow for the winding arm. pfrederi. Thanks for that info. It is an MW signature. I can't find any other names on it. I am going back to JoAnn fabrics tomorrow. Maybe it is some sort of Singer knock off or something. I won't lie. This is testing my manliness 😟😵🤕.

• Haha 4

Steve_O

try sailrite.com

oliver2-44

I did a few Google searches and found this.

I am happy to report that the plastic, Class 15 bobbins from Singer (or the generic ones from Joann, I'm guessing) do indeed work just fine. They don't wind well, but the machine doesn't seem to mind. 

Just thought I would report back in case anyone else has a Montgomery Ward Signature -- they are wonderful, wonderful machines, and I'm glad I can now easily find bobbins for them.

I believe that the metal Signature line was made by the Happy Sewing Machine Co, Japan. They are still in business and as far as I can tell, they make only commercial machines. MW was one of the few home machines that they made. I do know that the ones that passed through my hands were real workhorses.

embroidery-machine-bobbin-size-comparison.jpg

• Excellent 1

aghead

I was in Good Will awhile back and saw the perfect small table for a space I have...$25.xx... Ha, inside it there was a like brand new 1960's Singer Touch & Go with the steel gears, zigzag, etc,... nothing missing..

The table alone is a beauty...sewing machine a big bonus!...............YUP, real men do darn their own threads. :music-deathmetal:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

squonk

My Grandmother had an Singer that was old when I was a kid. She died 15 yrs ago and that machine had more miles on it than an over the road truck and it was still going.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Sarge

I have several machines here for making custom things myself versus paying someone else, especially canvas. My old go-to machine is a 1955 Singer model 66-15, indestructible other than occasionally knocking it out of time due to abusing it with heavy canvas. I also have a nice, but mostly worthless for what I need Singer 328K and a beautiful slant needle 500A Rocketeer - neither can do the heavier work but sew very nicely. Start hunting on Google, Bing and other search engines for your specific model - you will find most likely that the heavier commercial Toyota machines probably use the same width/diameter bobbin. I've had a hard time getting old stock, genuine bobbins for the old Singer model 66 due to them being an older style - the newer versions will not work. Yes, Toyota makes sewing machines as well as automobiles/trucks/forklifts - and they are truly bulletproof workhorses. I remember those Montgomery Ward machines back when Dad managed a local store - so I'm sure plenty of parts are around, just have to dig a bit. Another good source has always been old-school sewing machine repair shops with a crusty old repairman behind the counter - not a lot of true machine repairs left around but those folks know as much about the off brands as the people that built them - and given some persuasion I'd bet they have parts in stock. 

Running a quick search - it seems it is a clone of the later version Singer 66. One particular problem with that series of machines is the use of the older style single hole bobbin - use anything else, they will not fit the bobbin case correctly and cause bunching/snags. It is a cast machine and quite solid from what I'm seeing - should be a rock solid performer and from some of the blogs/videos it seems folks love them but parts are difficult to source.

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I checked Mrs. K's  Pfaff.  Looks like they are the class L  5/16" wide bobbins.

P1040012.JPG.aee15f89de678d65d3e232f083e47a5b.JPGP1040020.JPG.a2c6d93445ee76a1b41cea8392dfd470.JPG

Also checked my Grandmothers Sears Franklin.  It has all the attachments and sews perfectly with pedal power.   But the bobbin definitely would not fit your machine

P1040006.JPG.68a562f857682e53c4f208634d0b28f8.JPGP1040007.JPG.b79b184a15757e1927f3cbcde8253c30.JPGP1040009.JPG.67287cdd58763a2841c40c6ebe1baec5.JPGP1040008.JPG.83697310f464bb3b32dc1489d2684e40.JPG

• Like 1

Lee1977

We have a couple old Sears machines that use a bobbin that's 3/8" between the sides. Looks just like those that 953nut posted

6wheeler

Thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on you all for help. The Eagle has landed:text-bump:. After going to many sewing stores :angry-nono:. And internet searches, with no luck? The last store I went to? A little old lady ( customer):coffee:, Says" Excuse me young man. I don't mean to butt in. But, have you tried Creative sewing"? " I don't know where that is. I say". 'Well, it is just down the road a ways. They fix sewing machines. They may have some, if anyone does." I walk in the store, which seems to be more geared towards quilting and such. With the 1 bobbin I have . The sales lady that is also 1 of the owners, looks at it and says, "Oh, thats a blah,blah." Cuz, thats what it sounded like to me :scratchead:. Low and behold?  They have 25 of them. The skies lit up:thumbs:, the choir started singing :banana-guitar::banana-dreads::banana-tux::banana-guitar:!!! I went home with 6 of them. My hero status:bow-yellow: is intact. Thanks again for the help.... Pat

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

:blink: Man, that's all it took? 

6wheeler
16 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:blink: Man, that's all it took? 

Don't worry Craig. I will lose it again :snooty: :laughing-rolling:...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, 6wheeler said:

My hero status:bow-yellow: is intact.

You seem to acknowledge the fact that we never own our hero card, we are merely allowed to be in possession of it at the will of SWMBO!     :ychain:

Sarge

Personally - I'd go back and get the rest of their stock. It's not about greed, but eventually, your missus will start using that machine more often and find it's tough enough to handle the heavier work - and subsequently, want more bobbins. It is a lot easier to store a whole rack of pre-loaded bobbins than to change colors or thread type/size versus having to clean one off, waste the material and re-wind a new thread. Those odd sized bobbins are getting really tough to find - the single hole type for my old Singers are getting really expensive if you can find used/new ones on the net and around here the old fashioned repair shops and supply houses are cleaned out. It will only get worse as most replacements are made in China, cheap plastic or non-standard sized metal that causes nothing but headaches and jams. The last batch of 10 NOS single hole types I bought cost me almost $40 shipped, and that was a bargain - so be wary.

Sarge

• Like 2

WHX??

Ed you better not let the Amish find out about that pedal powered one! They be on you like flies on a sheet.

Thanks for the laughs 6Wheeler! 

RandyLittrell

I have my own 1950 Singer, I think of it as just building things with thread instead of welding rod!!!

Randy

Sarge

That pretty much nails it - the only time I've knocked mine off timing was with 6-7 layers of heavy canvas and running Kevlar thread through a modified commercial needle. Something has to be said for a sewing machine that weighs 66lbs, lol.

Sarge