upstate yank

got the bug again

upstate yank
On 1/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, 953 nut said:

Make sure the flywheel has teeth for an electric starter. I had a generator with a pull start Tecumseh, bolt holes were there but no teeth on the flywheel.

i checked it out and as with yours there are no teeth on the flywheel ;the past to days i have been trying to take the recoil off but the 4 screws that hold it in place are so rusted they won't budge 'the dog screw on the shiftier holder is still soaking and it is so rusted i am afraid if i try to ;loosen it it will snap ;i was able to get the linkage on the carb to move as they as well are so rusted ;again i really wonder who got the better deal here as even the pulleys are rusted so bad they won't turn ;rare or not it should had been kept in the woods for an other 20 years ;sure the crank turns over but any compression i don't know as i need to get it to start ;checking the transmission after removing the plug on the bottom water came pouring out ;so if i decide to go any further i will have to rinse the tranny with kerosene  then jack up the right side and  hope it all drains out ;under the seat on this model there is no filler hole or dip stick ;it seems i am stuck between a hard place do i try to save it or scrap it ;the rear tires are junk the fronts look fine 'but really no one to blame but myself as being to quick on the draw ; we live and learn that is life in the fast lane ;

The Tuul Crib

I think the word on cleaning up the rusted parts would be electrolysis. Check out my thread on rust  removal it is so easy and efficient !

Edited by The Tool Crib

upstate yank
On 1/5/2019 at 6:25 PM, The Tool Crib said:

That's a Tecumseh I may have a starter for you send me a PM 

i was wondering if you are still interested in some parts as you mentioned in one of your replies ;