RetroMower

New to wheel horsies

RetroMower

Hi all. Just joined here yesterday with hopes of soon being the new owner of a 60s lawn ranger i saw for sale. Unfortunately someone swiped it before i could get my hands on it. On the plus side i just saw yet another WH for sale. Its a 74 a100 listed as in good working order for 200$. The lawn ranger peaked my interest as something to toy with but this a100 looks like a capable worker. Just wondering if this is a good price and if this model has any known issues and any specific things i should check out before i lay down the green for it. 

Pullstart

Welcome, @RetroMower!

the A-100 is a vertical shaft engine, totally different than most garden tractors on this site.  Though it’s quality roots are there, a horizontal shaft Horse would most likely out perform it in every aspect.

good luck hunting, PA seems to be littered with all kinds of Wheel Horses!

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib

Hey :text-welcomeconfetti: and  that is a good start! That will only build a base for the addiction.Here at :rs: we are all a little....  :ROTF:.and makes it fun!!:wwp:

roadapples

As pullstart said this is not a garden tractor. It's a riding mower. Transaxle is not as strong or as desirable. Plenty of :wh:'s in your area. I'd keep looking...

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:happy new year

RetroMower

Well im glad i asked about this. But my original intent with this was a good winter project to clean up, possibly repaint to possibly use mainly as a mower come spring time. Although its on the lower end of WH power and ruggedness, its almost definitely more reliable than any new, big box store equivalent priced at $1000 at least. I will take the advice to keep looking seriously. I just wanna get my hands dirty lol

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

@RetroMower :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: and welcome to the Wheel Horse hobby in general. What the others have said is correct, any of the larger horizontal shaft tractors are going to be much heavier duty and perform much better than their vertical shaft counterparts. That being said, if you are looking for something to just tinker on through the winter and use primarily for mowing, I don't think you would go wrong buying that A-100. It's most definitely better built than anything you can buy new today at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention the cool factor of firing up a 40+ year old machine that was built to last and actually had some style to it every time you mow your yard. I own both variants (horizontal and vertical) and while my big C125 is my primary worker for anything heavy duty, my little vertical shaft 1970 Commando V8 has proven itself very handy several times. A couple years back we had a bad ice storm, that little V8 paid for itself several times during the cleanup. Its currently sitting in the storage building, but this summer it will get put to work again on sprayer duty

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, RetroMower said:

Although its on the lower end of WH ***** and ruggedness, its almost definitely more reliable than any new, big box store equivalent priced at $1000 ...

Most of us would agree.

Depending on what style of horse you prefer you can get yourself a B or C series or one of the 60's vintage with the above mentioned horizontal shaft engine and you'll be very happy with the results.

AMC RULES

• Excellent 1

RetroMower
6 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

@RetroMower :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: and welcome to the Wheel Horse hobby in general. What the others have said is correct, any of the larger horizontal shaft tractors are going to be much heavier duty and perform much better than their vertical shaft counterparts. That being said, if you are looking for something to just tinker on through the winter and use primarily for mowing, I don't think you would go wrong buying that A-100. It's most definitely better built than anything you can buy new today at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention the cool factor of firing up a 40+ year old machine that was built to last and actually had some style to it every time you mow your yard. I own both variants (horizontal and vertical) and while my big C125 is my primary worker for anything heavy duty, my little vertical shaft 1970 Commando V8 has proven itself very handy several times. A couple years back we had a bad ice storm, that little V8 paid for itself several times during the cleanup. Its currently sitting in the storage building, but this summer it will get put to work again on sprayer duty

Thank you the added confidence in my probable purchase provided its still available Wednesday. I also totally agree the styling of these old machines and the pride of keeping an old timer running and operating is something few will understand. The average suburbanite is comforted by a warranty and a cup holder while I, and the good people here, rely on our own two hands and knowledge. Since you own one of these perhaps you could tell me some key things to look for before i hand over $200.  

• Like 2

RetroMower
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Thank you for the link, this is a definite possibility. I think a local sandblasting company will assist with the derusting of the tins if I go for this one

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
10 minutes ago, RetroMower said:

Since you own one of these perhaps you could tell me some key things to look for before i hand over $200.  

The one I have is a different model from the A-100 you're looking at. I don't know much about the A series, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they came with Briggs vertical engines on them. Main advice I can give you is just check the normal things you would when purchasing any piece of used equipment. Check for oil leaks, condition of the oil, make sure it runs smooth with no major issues besides the possible need of a tune up, check the transmission to make sure it shifts into and operates in all gears with no binding or strange noises, check the deck thoroughly for cracks or signs of problems, deck spindles make sure they spin freely with no abnormal play or trying to lock up. 

I would definitely check into that 856 of Ed's that Craig shared the link to, if it wasn't 1400 miles one way to pick it up that one would already be in my shed. I know there are several Horses for sale in your area so you can be a little more picky on what you want than I can, I buy all of them I can in this area cause they are so hard to come by here. 

Good luck with finding and purchasing your first one, and I put an emphasis on the word first...ask anyone around here these things are like potato chips you cant just have one :lol:. Whatever model you decide on don't be afraid to ask any questions before or after you purchase, lots of very knowledgeable folks here who are more than willing to share their knowledge with the new guys

RetroMower

Well the a100 is a bust. Saw it today and the deck will crumple like aluminum foil so the search continues unless i can find a reason not to buy that 856 i saw for sale here

ebinmaine

I've not met Ed K in person but I think you would do well with that tractor and in dealing with him.

I'm sure others here would agree.

JCM

Welcome to RS you will really enjoy it here. HappyNew Year.

RetroMower

Well i found yet another possibility. A 502 with a plow for  $350. Seems a bit high since it lacks the original motor. Has a more modern electric start installed. Looks to be in fair shape. I do struggle to find a connection between model numbers and factory options. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: On the main page, here on the forum...find, and click on the "model list" found at top of the picture gallery. While not 100% accurate, the info there should get you going.