Turtle

Charging wire thru ignition switch, why?

Turtle
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The 1987 414-8 model 31-14K802 using M14S-601524 should have the dual charging system with no voltage regulator.

The 1619102xxx 10-digit serial number was made in 1986 which is correct for early production 1987 tractors.

One stator lead has a diode in it near the connector that goes to the tractor wiring to rectify the AC current so DC current will charge the battery,

The second stator lead goes directly to the headlamp circuit. The bulbs will work on AC current but only with the engine running and the faster it runs the brighter the lights.

Click on the picture.

More on this model

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=31-14K802&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

Now this make sense with what I see on my tractor. I pulled the flywheel off today to so I could see where the wires went and as you say they go right to the stator with no regulator in sight.

I guess my father removed the lights a while ago and that wire was just capped off.  I’ll probably leave it that way as I really don’t need them.  I’ll take the wire with the diode back to the ignition switch but that brings me back to my original question. Why couldn’t that wire go directly to the battery?

Thanks for your answer, it was driving me crazy because I never found a regulator.  

953 nut
39 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I’ll take the wire with the diode back to the ignition switch but that brings me back to my original question. Why couldn’t that wire go directly to the battery?

As I told you in post #5,

. Why does the charging output go thru the ignition switch?  From what I can tell the wire is grounded when the switch is off and while cranking and only connected to the battery in the run position. Why can’t that wire just go directly to the battery with a suitable fuse in the line?  Does it need to ground out during shutdown?

The charging system would create a parasitic drain on the battery if it was not disconnected with the engine not running.