Sign in to follow this  
USHorse

Deck Spindles / Assembly

USHorse

I've got an older 42" deck (no tags) that the deck spindles are NLA. I had two machined and worked great until my mother-in-law (god bless her) offered to mow last summer. While she was backing up, she caught the deck wheel on the clothes line post which torqued the heck out of the deck, causing blades to hit the inside of the deck for a good 30 seconds. One of several results was that one of the deck spindles now has play in it where it is inserted in the belt pully; or maybe the pully has play in it, i.e. slightly rounded (these spindles have the the two flat sides that match up with the two flat sides in the pully).

The question.....Can i use an entire spindle assembly from another deck (i.e. smaller). I say smaller because the smaller assemblies seem to be what is readily available used. This is what i have considered to be problems so far...any comments or other things I should concern myself with? Or should I just buy a new assembly.

1. Spindle length resulting in uneven cut

2. Bolting / mounting pattern

:omg:

Docwheelhorse

Hi--add a pic of your deck to your post... I might have a spindle or know where you can get one.

Tony

USHorse

I have been scanning parts diaghrams for some time but cannot ID :drool: . Local toro dealer indicates NLA, but that does mean it is (as I have learned :omg: ). The pully is still available for it (#5877). Length of the spindle is 6" long.

I will get a picture of it (or something similar) as soon as Photobucket and I learn to cooperate

:drool:

USHorse

:drool:

Here is a picture of a similar spindle with a lenght of about 4.5". My spindle is 6 inches in total length. Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but both ends have the flattened sides to accomodate the top pulley and the bottom spindle cover.

spindle-1.jpg

:omg: