Skipper

Old style Hour meter source

Skipper

Hi fellas

My 195 fried the hour meter, and I'm meticulous with service on it every 15 hours (yes I know, the wiring doesn't reflect that ( it's waiting for a complete do over)), so i needed a new hour meter. I'm kind of a scrooge too, so a new OE one was just too much money in my little head, for a gizmo that basically just count hours. I found this aftermarket unit at a fraction of the cost, delivered to my door for the rediculous cost of 11$ :-)

Yes, it looks almost like the OE, and it works well. I ordered two, and have had one just running hours on to test, and it runs flawless after almost 1000 hours. Keeps fairly good track of time too :D

Finish and eye quality is not up to par, but it is a good "almost as good as" choice for the price. Easy to mount with robber grommet and clip on retainer. Easy as one two tree.

Thought other scrooges might find this info usable :-)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6V-80V-DC-AC-Timer-2-Round-Quartz-Hour-Meter-Gauge-for-Car-Marine-Boat-Tractor/32877754498.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dwSGY1N

20181226_114903.jpg.fb2358ce717513f58399d6c373240888.jpg

20181226_114846.jpg.4489c0ae0554882e1cafd2056aef6603.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

KC9KAS

Replace your AMP gauge with the same brand and it will look just as good!

• Like 2

953 nut
7 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Replace your AMP gauge with the same brand and it will look just as good!

Replacing your AMP gauge with a VOLT meter would be the way to go.      :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

So, it just sits in there only held by the 2 rubber grommet lugs?

Sarge

• Like 1

clueless
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Replacing your AMP gauge with a VOLT meter would be the way to go.      :twocents-02cents:

Richard, I'm thinking about replacing my AMP to a Volt meter on my c160 , do you just connect the original wires to the volt meter? 

Racinbob
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

So, it just sits in there only held by the 2 rubber grommet lugs?

Sarge

That's not rubber but plastic. That ring has them top and bottom, slips on and sort of ratchets on to the desired tightness. You can release it by squeezing the tabs on the side. I installed the same meter on my B-160 when I installed a fresh motor this past summer. It works great.

1 minute ago, clueless said:

Richard, I'm thinking about replacing my AMP to a Volt meter on my c160 , do you just connect the original wires to the volt meter? 

When you remove the wires you'd have to tie them together to complete the circuit. Make sure to insulate it well. The voltmeter should be connected to a switched 12v source and the negative grounded.  :)

• Excellent 1

953 nut
Just now, clueless said:

Chris, you would connect the two wires from the amp meter to gather and insulate them well. The volt meter would be connected to the "A" terminal on your ignition switch, or anything that has power when the key is on like the lights or hour meter.

3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

When you remove the wires you'd have to tie them together to complete the circuit. Make sure to insulate it well. The voltmeter should be connected to a switched 12v source and the negative grounded.

BOB, you type faster than I do!           :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Racinbob

That's a first :D What baffles me is why ammeters have + and - on them. OK,  I understand why but it sure can mislead some folks causing them to wire it up that way. :eek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

clueless
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

That's a first :D What baffles me is why ammeters have + and - on them. OK,  I understand why but it sure can mislead some folks causing them to wire it up that way. :eek:

That would most likely be me, I'm clueless when it comes to electricity. So the voltmeters red goes to the ignition switch, is the black just a ground?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

Yes, that's correct. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

clueless
7 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Yes, that's correct. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks, sorry Skipper, I didn't mean to hijack your post.

• Like 1

Skipper
5 hours ago, clueless said:

Thanks, sorry Skipper, I didn't mean to hijack your post.

No problem, that's what it was intended for ;-)

• Like 2

Skipper

For volt meters, I have not been able to find a better match than this one for this type meter. It is not perfect, but it will get the job done.

And I could not agree more. Get that Amp meter thrown out and put in a voltmeter in stead. It's not a boat for Pete sake............. :-)

2-52mm-12V-Red-Pointer-Back-Light-Volt-Gauge-Car-Display-Voltage-Meter-Auto-Gauge-Chrome.jpg_640x640.jpg.58701068bc98f8132fe74128234975ef.jpg

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3