mrc

posi traction wheelhorse's

tntatro
2 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

it is the friction between the gears and the housing

That makes sense. I was having a little difficulty getting the second housing piece in because there is so little space. Everything on the 10 pinion fits together pretty snug. The 8 pinion goes together very easily.

• Like 1

Kevinfxst
On 12/25/2018 at 5:48 AM, 953 nut said:

The 5060 Transaxles in the 1067, 1267, 1968 Raider 10 and Raider 12 are ten pinion limited slit. In 1969 the 5071 transaxle was used in the Raider 10 and 12 with the ten pinion limited slip. Also, the 5073 Transaxle in the 1970 to 1973 Raider 10, 12 and 14 as well as the 1973 Raider 14 have the the limited slip ten pinion units. In 1974 only the Raider 14 used the 5073.

Im new on here and  Im learning all kinds of stuff about these transmissions   but in the wheelhorse master model ID  manual it shows the 5071 transmission as  listed as a 4 speed  not a  8 or 6 speed hi/lo  could someone explain this better and im assuming the  10 pinion ones are better than the 8 pinnion ones    thank you Kevin

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Kevinfxst said:

I'm assuming the  10 pinion ones are better than the 8 pinion ones    thank you Kevin

:text-welcomeconfetti:

It's the other way 'round. 

8 pinion are stronger though a steel shell 10 pinion should be plenty beefy for most applications. 

In the 8 pinion differential there's 2 sets of 4 pinions that are a bit larger that the 10 pinions...

Keep asking questions!!

Kevinfxst

so are the 8 pinion ones better ?  i thought the 10 pinion ones were the posi traction ones  ?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Kevinfxst said:

so are the 8 pinion ones better ?  i thought the 10 pinion ones were the posi traction ones  ?

Depends on the definition of better.  

You're correct that the 10 pinions were limited slip differentials. 

That is VERY good. Also perfectly fine strength and durability  for most of us. 

It's generally accepted that the 8 pinion differential is the strongest one built.  

• Like 1

Kevinfxst

The 5060 Transaxles in the 1067, 1267, 1968 Raider 10 and Raider 12 are ten pinion limited slit. In 1969 the 5071 transaxle was used in the Raider 10 and 12 with the ten pinion limited slip. Also, the 5073 Transaxle in the 1970 to 1973 Raider 10, 12 and 14 as well as the 1973 Raider 14 have the the limited slip ten pinion units. In 1974 only the Raider 14 used the 5073.

are all of the  10 pinion ones  limited slip then ?

Kevinfxst

Was the 5071 transmission a 4 speed  with the 10 pinion limited slip ?

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Kevinfxst said:

are all of the  10 pinion ones  limited slip then ?

I believe so. 

@stevasaurus could confirm that. 

Far as I know there were no 4 speeds with limited slip.  

• Like 1

Racinbob

The 5071 is a 6 speed with limited slip 10 pinion diff. All transmissions with the limited slip were designated as 6 speeds with 1 1/8" axles. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square Kevin.

Manual

1.  All of the Wheel Horse transmissions with 10 pinion differentials are limited slip.  Also, only the 10 pinion differentials are limited slip.  All limited slip transmissions are geared with the hi/low range selector and have 1 1/8" axles.

2.  The #5060 & #5071 are considered 6 speeds...the brake drum is on the 11/44 toothed "mushroom" gear.

3.  The #5073 is considered an 8 speed...the brake drum is on the cluster gear shaft.

4.  The #5060, #5071 & #5073 are all 10 pinion limited slip.  

Hyrdo

1.  Wheel Horse also made a hydro transaxle with 10 pinion differential...which is a limited slip.

Also, all Wheel Horse 3 & 4 speed transmissions have 4 pinion differentials and 1" axles.  Wheel Horse transmissions that are 8 speed...if they have 1" axles, they have 4 pinion differentials also.  The difference between 3 and 4 & 8 speed Wheel Horse transmissions is where the brake drum is mounted.  The 3 speed is on the 11/44 toothed (mushroom) gear.  The 4 & 8 speeds have the brake drum on the cluster gear shaft.

As far as what is better, the guys that are making "pullers" want the 8 pinion differentials.  The guys that are using Wheel Horses for what they were designed are happy with either one and some guys have both.  :occasion-xmas:

One other thing...the limited slip transmission is not a true posi-traction like in cars.  The limited slip transmission uses it's limited slip abilities "only" when going in a straight line.  The transmission acts like a regular transmission when turning.

• Excellent 3

Maxwell-8

Would love to see limited slip in action, and see how well it actually works

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Maxwell-8 said:

Would love to see limited slip in action, and see how well it actually works

I can directly attest to that. 

My tractors are non posi. 

Trina's 867 has limited slip differential.  

Her traction is absolutely comparable to mine and her rig as complete weighs several hundred pounds less.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can directly attest to that. 

My tractors are non posi. 

Trina's 867 has limited slip differential.  

Her traction is absolutely comparable to mine and her rig as complete weighs several hundred pounds less.  

My raider is just one year to young , our it would have had the posi

• Like 2