WildmanC120

Anyone build a performance K series for yard work?

WildmanC120

The K321 in my recently acquired GT14 is pretty tired.  It runs well but smokes.  I'm trying to decide if I want to put a 16hp in it, or just rebuild the 14HP that I already have.  I am kinda leaning toward rebuilding the 14HP since I already have it and that less money into the project at the moment. 

Has anyone put a cam or long rod in their engines for yard work?  Billet rod? Higher Compression?  Just curious about longevity on something like that.  Not wanting to go crazy but I feel if I could probably get into the 16-18hp range  I would be happy with it. 

I have found a few places to get parts from just by google.  Where do you get your parts from?

WildmanC120
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Skip the rest of the internet and go directly to Brian Miller's site.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Thanks for the link.  It's pretty overwhelming though.  I sent an email about what I want and what I want to do.  Maybe i'll get a response.  

Thinking just a long rod and basic cam change would be sweet. Set it at 4k rpm and let it sing. 

• Like 1

tunahead72

You may get some ideas from the Kirk Engines site, especially the information on his "Killer Kohler" build:

http://kirkengines.com/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Dan693

Free low header I make myself, Free flow air intake from my local parts store, Re-jet carb - figure what stock jet is then upsize one at a time till it runs best.

Bam! 2 more HP without open heart surgery.

• Like 4

953 nut
49 minutes ago, Dan693 said:

Bam! 2 more HP without open heart surgery.

Just hope you don't hear a loud Image result for bam!             :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Thanks for the link.  It's pretty overwhelming though.  I sent an email about what I want and what I want to do.  Maybe i'll get a response.  

Thinking just a long rod and basic cam change would be sweet. Set it at 4k rpm and let it sing. 

While I agree with the site being overwhelming I can speak for a few of us when I say

Take a the time to really look at it.

There's A LOT of information there, yes.

It's worth the reading time.

The only concern I have is running at 4K on a consistent basis.

That would be right on the upper edge of what some would say is usable range and others would say is already too high.

• Like 1

squonk

download.jpg.bc7310e903108c05f5d38fa4663c599a.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, squonk said:

download.jpg.bc7310e903108c05f5d38fa4663c599a.jpg

Mike you're awesome.

So is it bad that the very first thing I thought of is that the SEAT isn't practical because you'd have a hard time staying on??

Because the rest of it is sooo... You know... Practical...

:ROTF:

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Achto

( HP=$ ), this is my favorite formula when talking about squeezing more horse power out of an engine. It will cost money for the up grades and then more money for the up keep.

If you are building the engine to be a worker then I would stay stock. 14HP is more than you'll be able to put to the ground on your tractor. If you don't have to depend on the use of the tractor then let the sky (or your wallet) be the limit. JMO

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, Achto said:

( HP=$ ), this is my favorite formula when talking about squeezing more horse power out of an engine. It will cost money for the up grades and then more money for the up keep.

Yep $6k=600hp +or-...definitely not a daily driver.

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

• Excellent 5