Ed Kennell

Windshield Washer Fluid Sale

Ed Kennell

ACE Hardware has their USA made -25F windshield washer fluid on sale for $1.49 with a rewards card.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

I don't think you wanted that download on there Ed.

Ed Kennell

Thanks Eric , I deleted it as soon as I saw it.     Dang fat fingers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Do you have a listing or a link for that? I don't see it in my local area. Just wondering if I can order it online.

ebinmaine

Thank you sir. I drive by an Ace everyday but I rarely go in there because most of their prices are prohibitive.

I'll stop in and see them for this one though.

Achto

Slightly off topic, but have you tried the Rain-X brand of washer fluid? A bit more expensive but after using it for a short period of time it will all but eliminate the need for windshield wipers. Water will run off of the windshield almost as fast as it hits it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Achto said:

Slightly off topic, but have you tried the Rain-X brand of washer fluid? A bit more expensive but after using it for a short period of time it will all but eliminate the need for windshield wipers. Water will run off of the windshield almost as fast as it hits it.

I have tried that. Several years ago. I was impressed. I actually have no idea why I don't go back and get some more.

Achto
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I actually have no idea why I don't go back and get some more.

It is amazing stuff. When my wife got her last car she couldn't wait to run the normal fluid out so that I would fill it with the Rain-X.

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

I use the Prestone brands usually try to buy a use seasonally...it too has the rain beading ingredients like RainX.

Screenshot_20181221-081249.png

• Like 2

JC 1965

I use the Rain-x brand. It really is good stuff.

• Like 1

rjg854

That's all we will use in our vehicles is Rain-X, about the only time I have to use wipers is if you are going less than 30mph.

Sarge

Just a note about Rain-X ...

I love the stuff, been using the regular coatings in the yellow bottle for a lot of years. Applied per the instructions, it will last at least several months. Best kept secret out there is to use it to protect polycarbonate headlight lenses and rear view mirrors - ice and frost won't stick very well due to the coating and it helps with visibility and preventing hazing. 

If you use the standard blue washer fluid that is cold weather rated the stuff contains high amounts of alcohol that will remove the coating in a short time. Now, using the pre-mixed Rain-X brand washer fluid in gallons is better and doesn't get eaten off by any other type of fluid being used - BUT, there can be a problem with newer vehicles. Some, including my Dodge pickup, will have a low washer fluid warning sensor. The thicker ingredients in the Rain-X will plug up that sensor over time and turn on the warning light in the dash. Some of the ingredients seem to separate with long-term use, if you check the bottom of the reservoir you'll see a thick deposit forming - some vehicles have burned out those expensive little washer pumps from the deposits. If you have an issue with the sensor getting plugged up or basically film coated to where it cannot sense the wet fluid - use a bottle brush for cleaning baby bottles. The longer the handle - the better, some of those tanks are extremely deep. Otherwise, most are held in with a push-in grommet, no different than the later C model WH fuel tanks - just pop it out and use a nylon brush to clean it off. On some vehicles, getting to that sensor requires removing the tank, which can require half the nose assembly is out of the way first, not fun. I've had to fix several and one car took 4hrs just to get the stupid tank out, took less than 5 mins to clean it out. 

Now, all that said - I have found a better way. Use either the basic blue washer fluid, the Prestone de-icer type which works awesome in freezing conditions or whatever you prefer. Get the concentrate from Rain-X and add it to the mix. I generally fill the tank about halfway, add the concentrate to the remaining amount in the jug and shake the snot out of it to fully mix it up. Finish filling the tank. Drive the thing, and enjoy a clean windshield that water just runs off of easily. For some reason, that concentrate doesn't seem to be affected nearly as bad by alcohol as the pre-mixed version. It also seems a lot more resistant to the aggressive car wash detergents. In both my old Land Cruiser, as well as the newer Dodge - so signs at all of the buildup or sludge formation as experienced with the pre-mix version from Rain-X. Got a buddy testing it in his highly sensitive Mercedes (C-class) that would turn its sensor on constantly and drive him nuts with the warning chimes. That had required removing the nose to clean that tank - the thing didn't like that sludge that had formed after only using 3-4 gallons of the pre-mix version. It only takes a few ounces of the concentrate per gallon to do the job - don't overuse it or you may have a problem. On my offroad trucks, Rain-X is almost a must with near vertical windshields and wipers that are pretty sub-par even when the vehicle was new. I've probably used it for over 25yrs, never a regret other than the pre-mixed gallon version and I still highly recommend Rain-X to everyone. 

Rain-X wiper blades..not so much.

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yep, I treat my windshields with Rain-X when I have a planned trip. 

When I'm filling tires, I use the $1.49 stuff.

• Excellent 2

Lane Ranger

I have used rain X for more than25 years. The concentrated rain x applied to windshields is the best way to keep the rain drops beaded up on the windshield.  The rain X washer fluid is a product I use also.  Note that many of the washer fluids do not work well ( freeze or gel)  in -10 below or more weather.  There are washer fluids that go to -25.

Zeek
4 hours ago, rjg854 said:

That's all we will use in our vehicles is Rain-X, about the only time I have to use wipers is if you are going less than 30mph.

Same here. It's awesome while on the freeway passing trucks in the rain, you are no longer blinded by mist. Plus like you said you don't really need the wipers once up to speed.

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Thanks for this. Got it just in time. As a note in general, as I made the mistake last year buy any WWF now for the tractors for filling tires. Cheaper and it is the winter formula. Had to go to many places last summer to find some for my tires to get filled and ended up paying for premium brand and prices once found.