Blackhood Bill

Identifying a Horse

Blackhood Bill

Is there any other way to identify a horse when the ID tag is just plain unreadable? Attached is what I'm trying to read. I can tell you it is a GT 1848 so I know it is 82 or 83

IMG_20181203_200831240.jpg

Edited by Whnewone
Added info

Vinylguy
28 minutes ago, Whnewone said:

Is there any other way to identify a horse when the ID tag is just plain unreadable? Attached is what I'm trying to read. I can tell you it is a GT 1848 so I know it is 82 or 83

If it is a gt 1848 it would be a 1982. The only year it was made

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

THANKS It is a 1848 hydro

stevasaurus

It's a 1983...if you look real close, you can make out what appears to be D1, the 1982 starts out with A1.  The full model number is D1-184801 for 1983.  A1-184801 for the 1982.  :orcs-cheers:  I think I can see D1-1?4801.  I have a large screen to look at.  :happy-partydance:

Blackhood Bill

After enlarging it here Steve I think your right. Thanks for the idea to make it larger!!!!! :banana-rock:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Looks like D 1 to me.l enhanced it a little 

IMG_4985.PNG

Vinylguy
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Looks like D 1 to me.l enhanced it a little 

IMG_4985.PNG

I stand corrected.  They did make an 83 GT1848 model number is D1-184801

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

This forum has the best dang tractor detectives ever!! 

Sometimes I think I could post a pic of a rusty spring with a hint of red paint and you guys would figure out what it came off :lol:.

49F8B5F3-6E8C-41E2-9A9C-AFE2CC2AA3E4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dells68
41 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Sometimes I think I could post a pic of a rusty spring with a hint of red paint and you guys would figure out what it came off :lol:.

RJ58?  Sorry Mike, couldn’t resist😂!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

I think I could post a pic of a rusty spring with a hint of red paint and you guys would figure out what it came off

My guess would be that it came from the floor in the corner of the shop!

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Blackhood Bill

Should anyone care for a challenge I'd like to know what the second set of numbers are but I think that is going to be tough to get. I'm going to try to put it under a magnifying glass or a microscope lens if I can get one.

stevasaurus

I think dells68 is right.  Spring is from a RJ-58 #5003 transmission...between the brake band and the little hoobie-doobie mounted under a side plate bolt.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 3

gwest_ca
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I think dells68 is right.  Spring is from a RJ-58 #5003 transmission...between the brake band and the little hoobie-doobie mounted under a side plate bolt.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

You guys are to funny! I almost wanna go out to the garage and measure the spring to see if it’s the one Gary linked to :lol:

• Haha 3

LengerichKA88
On 12/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, Sparky said:

I know this one..... this is actually from when AMC owned them, that’s a flux capacitor spring. 

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
21 hours ago, Whnewone said:

Should anyone care for a challenge I'd like to know what the second set of numbers are but I think that is going to be tough to get. I'm going to try to put it under a magnifying glass or a microscope lens if I can get one.

Could you do a rubbing of it and see if that shows anything? Might be a little easier on the eyes. Just a thought. 

The Tuul Crib
Just now, KyleLengerich said:

Could you do a rubbing of it and see if that shows anything? Might be a little easier on the eyes. Just a thought. 

Forensics!:ph34r:

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Forensics!:ph34r:

One of the few classes I excelled at in college 😂

neither of ours have the ID tags anymore, but from the picture they appear to be stamped so I figured it was worth suggesting 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Wonder if it’ll actually work though lol

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

Kyle I will try to " clean it" better I just don't won't to rub off anymore than what's already gone.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The Julian build date is what you are trying to determine. This date was not the date the product was built but the day they scheduled that batch of tractors to be built.

The first digit is likely a 2 for 1982.

The numbers we have for 1983 product don't look good to narrow it down.

2180-2279 (Tuesday June 29 - Wednesday October 6) nothing recorded

2280 (Thursday October 7) on serial 4115 - One has to wonder if the numbers were all legible

2288 (Friday October 15) on serials 26019-26091

2294 (Thursday October 21) on serial 26420

2321 (Wednesday November 17) on serial 26267

2349 (Wednesday December 15) on serial 16301

2355 (Tuesday December 21) on serial 42472

2359 (Saturday December 25)

Don't rule out Saturdays and Sundays because it was done on these days in the past.

Best guess is serial 11375 was issued between 2280 and 2349.

Garry

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
14 hours ago, Whnewone said:

Kyle I will try to " clean it" better I just don't won't to rub off anymore than what's already gone.

Didn’t think about that... might work if you use a soft paper like tissue paper, might not cause as much friction. No idea if you actually be able to transfer anything to the paper, it was just a thought, but not worth degrading it further.