Sign in to follow this  
dusted800

workhorse vs wheelhorse

dusted800

I am looking at a redstripe gt1100 workhorse. Can anyone tell me the difference between this and the reg wheelhorse of the same vintage. I can see it has the briggs? engine but other than that. Is the frame and trans etc the same as a wheelhorse and could I put a kohler in it without changing anything major. thanx. wnk.

kpinnc

It's pretty much the same as a 310 or 312-8 Wheel Horse, with a Briggs engine and grey paint, and a few stickers.

Good luck!

Kevin

past7971

As far as any engine swap--like Kevin said, they are basically the same thing so a Kohler will bolt right in if thats the decision you decide to make. One thing to keep in mind though. The Briggs uses a magneto ignition system. The Kohler Magnum and earlier electronic ignition ones do too but the K-series with points and round coils will require some wiring modifications and different ignition switch. I do prefer the Kohlers but have them with Tecumsehs and Briggs too. If the Briggs is running good, no problems and doing its job, I wouldn't swap it out unless your really determined to do it.

grinch1989

Minor note, but the front tires are also 8" compared to the 6" 300 series machines.

wh500special

Unless the Briggs engine is a clunker I'd keep it on there. They are great engines.

If you do perform a changeover you'll also need a new drive pulley on the engine since the Briggs shaft was a 1-incher and almost all the larger Kohler's you'll find are 1.125". And the inner bearing race from the PTO will need to be changed out too to accomodate a larger shaft.

Steve