Keith

Speedex 1631

Keith

I have come across a Speedex 1631 with 16 hp Briggs and Stratton motor.   What are the strengths and weaknesses of this model ?

As the Power King, it has the T-92 transmission but seems to be belt drive.   

Tim

Razorback

I have a Speedex 1631 and I LOVE IT for it’s rugged nature and simplicity. Mine has a belly mower, plough, disks, furrowers, and cultivators.  I don’t use the mower but It does work. It is my favorite GT for ploughing because it sits high on the ag tires, giving you the ability of ploughing a really deep furrow without high-centering.

The only “weekness” it has, if you can call it that, is the “Armstrong” lift lever. If that’s a show-stopper, keep your eyes open for a 1632.... the 1632 is a 1631 with hydraulics.

Any more specifics about the one you are looking at?

4DB3D0C3-8893-4BCD-91CD-D0864BFF2C5D.jpeg

B822C575-8D96-4186-ADC4-96AB1CDA4116.jpeg

1ADF48F4-827B-48BB-B779-FBBE079A4CB3.jpeg

E2223FBC-F286-4D74-9B3C-A0BE2C792D13.jpeg

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Razorback

Meant to also say..... the transmission input is driven by a belt from the engine. Tension is put on that belt using the right-side foot pedal.... you pivot it toward the front of the tractor which slides the engine forward on the bar-stock frame, which compresses a return spring that pushes the engine back towards you when you pivot the pedal back.

The output of the transmission drives a heavy roller chain to the rear tires.

Like I said..... simple!

Edited by Razorback

Keith

This one has 3 point hitch but no hydraulics.  It is said to run but not run very well - carburetor issues.

I have a Power King 1614.  Does it compare to the PK ?   My PK doesn't have a 3PH.  They both

have the T-92?    I only use these for pulling trailers and moving things.   Do you think its better than

a 520H at pulling?    My 520H has plenty of power but traction isn't so good, I installed tire chains

and that helps but its not heavy enough. 

Razorback

Yes, T-92 transmission.

I don’t have a 520H to compare it to, but if I compare it to my other 3 GT’s, if I added chains to the rear tires, I would think it would out-pull the others. Plenty of places to add weight, too.

Edited by Razorback

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Keith said:

I only use these for pulling trailers and moving things.   Do you think its better than

a 520H at pulling?    My 520H has plenty of power but traction isn't so good, I installed tire chains

and that helps but its not heavy enough. 

I use a 74 B80 with liquid filled tires and an additional 100 lbs of Steel weights.

The tractor weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 925 and I'm another 250 plus.

I've towed well in excess of 1000 pounds quite a bit over VERY rough terrain.

Your 520 is heavier to begin with than my old B.

Filled tires would make it amazing.

That said.... I still think you should go buy the Speedex.

Those (updraft?) Briggs carbs are a challenge sometimes but run well.

Keith

I just drove the 520H with a loaded trailed down the hill on my property.  No problem hauling about 400 lbs but it was unable to pull the empty trailer up the 30 degree hill.  I can drive an automobile up that 75 foot slope.  The 520H need better traction.  It is not weighted.

The Speedex looks good and I hear that most parts can be repaired or fabricated

Speedex_1.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

I put mine lots of places/angles I wouldn't put a car.

Empty or full.

Ag tires on it by the way so I have plenty of bite with all that weight.

I like that Speedex.

That would serve you well.

Mike'sHorseBarn

I think every garden tractor collector should have a speedex at one time or another. I have an older one, an s18 and it is a neat machine. Also a cousin of the wheel horse. With the newer ones such as the 1631, it will do just about anything you want it to do and that engine doesn't have enough power to hurt the T92 transmission. It was over engineered and that's a good thing!

• Like 2