pfrederi

Sunstrand 10 pinion axle question

pfrederi

Tearing down the transaxle from an Electro.  I want to scream put down the RTV tubes and step away from the tranny.  Blue glop all over.

But my question...both axles were drilled for roll pins but also had the machined groove for the snap ring.  The snap rings were used.  The holes were out side the groove.  I know some older trannies used the roll pin and later ones used snap rings.  You think Wheel horse decided to re-machine old stock to use snap rings???  It almost looks like if you used the roll pin holes the axles would bang together inside the differential....

IMG_0245.JPG

953 nut

Paul, you know how thrifty the Ponds were. They probably had stacks of drilled axles from three speeds when the six speeds and hydros came out, you wouldn't expect them to put this valuable inventory aside and make up "New" axles would you?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Paul, you know how thrifty the Ponds were. They probably had stacks of drilled axles from three speeds when the six speeds and hydros came out, you wouldn't expect them to put this valuable inventory aside and make up "New" axles would you?

Have to agree..

The splines cut in the axle are about 3/8" longer than any other axles I have lying around. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'd say you guys are right on.  They certainly look factory.  :occasion-xmas:

What Paul...no pictures of the blue goop???  That is the kind of thing that makes you always want a glass of Rock & Rye close by.  The voice of experience.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 3

squonk

Will Rock & Rye get the blue goop out of clothes? I have a small issue with blue monster thread sealant. :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Sarge

I've always said RTV should require a special permit to even purchase the stuff. I've watched people destroy automatic transmissions, engines and everything else with the various colors and grades just from not knowing better. It would help if they would at least read the instructions on the back, but even then there are very limited uses for the stuff. Honestly, can't say I've used up 1/10th of a tube in the last 35yrs or so, I hate RTV with a passion. The Right Stuff is far better - if you can get any out of the pressurized container more than one time before it hardens in the nozzle and destroys it.

Sarge

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Mike, Rock & Rye will not clean out grease stains!!  It makes it so you don't care about them.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 1

squonk

I worry more about getting Blue Monster off of my pipe wrenches.:wacko:

• Like 1