Firebug

Wheel horse 208-4 models

Firebug

I recently stumbled on a 208-4 for a price I couldn’t walk away from. Problem is previous owner hacked into the wire harness and actually replaced part of it with dryer cord. I was going to patch it to get the pto switch to property operate. I found a complete harness on the inter web but it’s for a 208-4sb. Is that the same as a regular 208-4? Will that harness work? What does the “sb” designation mean? Thanks guys

gwest_ca

I did not know what SB stands for until I was enlightened in this forum.

Single Blade

The SB letters are not always included with the 208-4 model name.

Would not be surprised if this model was also sold with a deck included so the SB got added.

Mower decks were usually an option because of the selection available.

Garry

Firebug

So the tractor itself is the same, only difference is what deck option the buyer went with. I would have to believe the wire harness would be the same 

• Like 1

wildman

The SB stands for single blade deck

Dan693

I know if I owned it the SB would stand for........STAND BACK!!!!!

• Haha 1

gwest_ca

The 208-4 was sold for two years 1988-89.

Click on the picture and again on the next page that comes up.

Garry

Firebug

I appreciate all the help

• Like 1

ZXT

Hey, dryer cord is 10awg... plenty heavy for anything that tractor will need!

Pictures? Ive never seen a 208-4 but from the picture on the manual posted, it looks like a vertical shaft. 

Firebug

It is a vertical shaft 8 hp Briggs. Unfortunately I didn’t take pics before I disassembled it for paint work

• Like 1

wh500special

The wiring harnesses in all the Briggs and Stratton late series 200’s should be the same.   Or, even if they’re not they should all work the same.   There will be a couple of unused plugs on yours that would hook to voltmeters or hourmeters. 

“SB” was marketed as “Super Bagger” if you go back into the sales literature.  I guess it probably meant “single blade” as well. 

There were 8 and 11 horse versions.  

A single blade, 30” mower deck was standard in these.  And they had smaller diameter tires to make room for the deck since it was longer front-to-back than the 36” and 37” decks.  

All late 200-series  were great mowing machines.  Far more nimble than any of the classic series tractors.   But they don’t get much love among collectors since they are less capable, and less versatile machines for heavier duty use than the others.   

I’ve written volumes here about them for the last decade.  They’re good machines.  Enjoy yours when restored!

steve 

Firebug

I appreciate the help with the 208. Don’t think I have plans on keeping it though. It’s a bit small for my 2 acres. My wife uses a white gt 205 with a 50 inch deck,( at least till I can get her a 520) and I have the 3 point mower for behind my d200

morePEdal

Greetings: I stumbled on to a 208-4SB that I’m thinking about purchasing. It looks to be immaculate with only two owners. I only have a 1/2 acre and I think this would be perfect because it’s small, has a tight turning radius and because of it’s age, cheaper. Are these machines easy to maintain? The original and 2nd owner seem to have been meticulous in the maintenance. It basically looks brand new. He’s selling it for $375. What are some things I should look for when inspecting this model? I’m brand new to riding lawn mowers, but have some good mechanical skills. Any info would be helpful and appreciated! Thank you!

6F355F72-DE15-4CEF-B597-C290545B8202.jpeg