I'll be following.

Let me know if you need anything.

I have a C81 parts machine here.

Not sure what's worth saving on it but I'd be happy to look at it if you have a specific need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

save that patina with penetrating oil and a cloth , that's the first thing I do on a recent project. the light oil will feed the paint and trap what is there, my recent 312 -8 looks clean and shinny with an oil rub down. looks like your driver training , is well under way, they grow up so fast. sloppy steering, is anything related to it, probably new wheel bearings , and added shims, tye rod ends ,or  heim joints. steering column , sloppy ? good time to add a (  2  bolt  3/4" flange bearing to console cross brace, very solid , grease everything. I usually shim up the sloppy pto handle fit , with nylon washers on inside , near battery , making it very solid and smooth , with lubricant. just seeing where you are on this , makes me tell you of my own similar issues , and fixes , good luck , pete    

• Like 3

Nice patina, since its a worker, a light wet sand and clear coat might also be a good preservation option.   While everyone recommends using Ethanol free gas, its not always available.  So make sure the clear coat is ethanol resistant, i learned the hard way.  I've tested and found the Duplicolor clearcoat and the xxx high heat clearcoat  are resistant.  I tested several of the rattle can clears from the local hardware store and they were not.   

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

They don't get much more patina than this one. No red color was on it at all until i sanded it down a bit... This is a gloss finish buffed out . Some might prefer to use satin or semi gloss. The important thing is that it is so easy to wash off dirt from clear coat.. The hood on your C will come out real nice as the dark primer sort of blends in with the red to make a dark cherry color.  You cannot buy that look out of a can!

I would suggest trying out any sort of paint restoration practice on a hidden part of the tractor [inside of hood or inside of guard or under seat] or an unimportant roller like the seat pan shown.  The wuch better seat pan underneath it is an unrestored C-141 that I plan to clear over.

008.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies. Im not sure what route I want to go for the patina finish yet. Im will have to spend some time researching on here checking out what some other members have done. I saw a couple of beauties at the big show this year that looked fantastic.

So I have the pto clutch apart and investigating why it slips it high grass. The rod it at the end of its adjustment first off. I also noticed some of the holes are slightly wallowed out. I need to also see if i can find a spec on the friction disc but it dosnt look to worn out to me. I did have to de glaze it at one point last summer, but there is some meat there. One other thing im questioning is if the rubber mounted engine cradle has any effect on the amount of pressure from the engagement? When engaged it puts alot of force but it looks like some of it is absorbed through the rubber mounts and I can see the motor move a bit when i engage it. 

20181205_180729.jpg

20181205_180659.jpg

20181205_180659.jpg

20181205_180653.jpg

20181205_180558.jpg

20181205_180546.jpg

20181205_180032.jpg

• Like 3