moe1965

854 snow blade

moe1965

I started working on my latest restoration project. I'm wondering if the snow blade is a wheel horse blade or is it something the P.O. made up it has a single round tube that goes all the way back to the trans and not a tubler frame I'm used to seeing on later models. There is a addition that the P.O. added I'm guessing for more stability on top or the blade that is in the front of the tractor front frame to prevent the blade from shifting from side to side while under a load. The rest of the blade looks factory that moves the blade left and right and locks into position. Thanks in advance. Moe

20181204_183625.jpg

20181204_183648.jpg

20181204_183656.jpg

20181204_193532.jpg

Edited by moe1965
Added picture

rjg854

No,  I highly doubt that is an original dozer blade. 

WVHillbilly520H

Looks more a Gravely or Power King/Economy style blade :confusion-confused:...

moe1965

Is it possible to convert a long frame wheel horse plow  to fit the short frame tractor 

WVHillbilly520H
22 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

Is it possible to convert a long frame wheel horse plow  to fit the short frame tractor 

Yes... The long frame usually has 2 sets of holes for the rear hitch rod just put the 3/4" diameter rod in the forward set.

Screenshot_20181205-071819.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Whoever put that blade together did a very good job of it.

Garry

moe1965

Thanks WVhillbilly520H I have a blade for a long frame I think I'll convert so it will fit both of my tractors and get rid of the one currently on the 845. 

• Thanks 1

new2horses

That blade was made to fit a red tractor, but not a Wheel Horse. It's for a Massey Ferguson. Pretty hard to find piece of equipment.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have a snow blade for my 854, bought it from squonk/Mike, he restored it, looks new. I might even use it this year, but its so purty.  :lol:. Hate to mess it up.

Glenn

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Had to remove my leaf blower and put the snow blade and weighted tires with chains on the 418-C today. The forecast is for 12 to 24 inches of snow beginning Saturday. We are right on the line between the two depths so lets see what happens.

• Excellent 1

moe1965

Thanks for info on the blade new2horses I have no use for it but I really don't want to just scrap it. Hope I can find someone who needs it 

ebinmaine
On 12/5/2018 at 7:16 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes... The long frame usually has 2 sets of holes for the rear hitch rod just put the 3/4" diameter rod in the forward set.

Screenshot_20181205-071819.png

Jeff, I have a plow frame off of a c-160.

It does have the second set of holes and I'm thinking of putting it on an 867.

I'm assuming that the plow angle lever must end up behind the right hand Stirrup instead of in front of it?

WVHillbilly520H
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Jeff, I have a plow frame off of a c-160.

It does have the second set of holes and I'm thinking of putting it on an 867.

I'm assuming that the plow angle lever must end up behind the right hand Stirrup instead of in front of it?

There in lies the problem is that I've never had a short frame, but going by logic I would say it should stay where it should be  "short frame and forward hole on plow frame" but I'm sure the elder :wh: experts will be along to verify or not.

• Thanks 1

Ron A.

I'm new to Horses as well and acquired a '67 867 Short Frame.  Someone told me that the snow plow pin goes through the hole where the clevis hitch pin goes?  Another person told me I need the rear axle mount for the snowplow?  
Help.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ron A. said:

I'm new to Horses as well and acquired a '67 867 Short Frame.  Someone told me that the snow plow pin goes through the hole where the clevis hitch pin goes?  Another person told me I need the rear axle mount for the snowplow?  
Help.

Welcome to Red square Ron!

It's the Rear Axle Mount that you need. I'm not sure where the clevis pin person got their information....

Maybe a different model I don't know.

We have an 867 like you and can take pictures tomorrow if need be.

Ron A.

Thanks for the response.  It didn't make much sense to me using the clevis hitch pin mount pushing snow or dirt around, especially being part of the gear housing.   Trying to get the clevis hitch free as well so the lift is operational.  Pb Blastered it to death for 3 days now.   Will be ordering the axle mount tomorrow, again Thanks for the information.  Do you have a suggestion on the axle mount with the spacing bar or the set without the spacing bar?  Thanks again.

Edited by Ron A.
spelling errors are painful

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Ron A. said:

you have a suggestion on the axle mount with the spacing bar or the set without the spacing bar? 

Can you show a picture or send me a PM with links so I can see what you mean? I only know of one style of plow bracket. They bolt to the square part of the axle housing.

The rear hitch pins are well-known 4 being rust welded in place. Don't be afraid to throw some heat at it.

I'm not a huge fan of PB blaster. I've had much better luck with several other things including old school liquid wrench.

Be patient with that and heat, cool, heat, cool, repeat, repeat repeat repeat

Chances are pretty high you'll get it eventually.

Ron A.

the first are the separate rear axle mounts and the latter is the full mount. Not much difference in price and I'll probably get the full mount for around $70 new. Seems like the separate mounts might not be as stable. The what I call 'partial' mounts are $55.  Found a used set for around $50 with shipping. 

Thanks again with the advice on the pin... Figured it was just being stubborn, little cold here still and I didn't want to go walloping it. 

partialmounts.jpg

rearaxlemountfull.jpg

Edited by Ron A.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Ron A. said:

the first are the separate rear axle mounts and the latter is the full mount. Not much difference in price and I'll probably get the full mount for around $70 new. Seems like the separate mounts might not be as stable. The what I call 'partial' mounts are $55.  Found a used set for around $50 with shipping. 

Thanks again with the advice on the pin... Figured it was just being stubborn, little cold here still and I didn't want to go walloping it. 

partialmounts.jpg

rearaxlemountfull.jpg

definitely the one WITH the cross support. I didn't even know they made them the other way.

Is that on wheel Horse parts and more? they are one of this sites awesome vendors.

If you have a hand torch it would be difficult to overheat that hitch.

Oxy-acetylene obviously you would want to use caution.

They are pretty rugged but it is also a cast-iron case which I'm sure you realize can be a bit brittle....

Ron A.

Yes Wheel Horse Parts and More.   Looking for a tiller, cultivator and a plow. My Wheel Horse life will be complete.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Yes Wheel Horse Parts and More.   Looking for a tiller, cultivator and a plow. My Wheel Horse life will be complete.

Excellent. Lowell and Joette are the couple that run that business. Wonderful people. Any information you need about the products they sell... give them a ring and tell them you found them on Red square.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Snow and Dirt Beware!  Thanks Wheel Horse Parts and More...

Please do feel free to start a thread and post some pics of your tractor.

We'd love to see it.