WheelHorse314-8

just purchased a 1999 314-8

WheelHorse314-8
35 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I have a 315-8 and am running an oil filter for my 2015 Focus on it. A short filter with 3/4 x 16 thread will work. As for you spindles, I've swapped 6 and 8 inch wheels between both spindle lengths with no issues while using 42 and 48 inch decks and have the 6-inch spindles on my 520 with 8-inch wheels right now, it just sits up higher.

It may be possible to convert a 260-series to work for you 312. I did it using a deck meant for a 270. All the holes I needed were in the deck shell so I swapped out some bits and pulleys and had a brand new 48-inch deck. 

Pics are here. 

But when you change the 6in and 8in wheels out won't that make it so the mower deck height would be off?

So you took a 260 series deck and put it on a 315?  If I could do that it would be awesome! 

WheelHorse314-8
45 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

I used international red on my horses to restore them looks great!

im thinking of using massey ferguson red since its a lighter red and closer to the "newer toro red" that a 99 is compared to the before 90' wheel horse models

bds1984

You can adjust the angle of the deck by turning the trunnion that is at the rear of the mower deck. I never noticed any height issues since I mow on the higher end of the spectrum. If you have both decks side-by-side, tools, and mechanical ability, you should be able to make a 260/270 deck work by swapping parts over. My 48-inch deck was pretty rough and came across a NOS 48-inch deck from a 270. After a couple hours of wrenching I had a new 48-inch deck for my C165-8. The 270 deck had all the bolt holes punched out for the attach-a-mattic hangers so that part was easy. The most challenging part was swapping over the spindle shafts but even that wasn't a big deal.  Now I cannot speak to whether or not your deck parts from a 42-inch deck will swap to the 48-inch. If you can get that 48-inch deck for cheap, I say it is time to experiment!

WheelHorse314-8

ok, so i purchased a can of the 12 oz. Farm Equipment International Massey Ferguson Gloss Enamel Spray Paint and it was a little to light of a red.

so I'm going to take the advise of most on here and use the 12 oz. Farm Equipment International Harvester Red Gloss Enamel Spray Paint.

Wish me luck!

WheelHorse314-8

I got a set of the 8in wheel spindles for my wheel horse.  the 8in wheels fit and work well, BUT when you turn left the right tire wants to run against the mule drive.  does anyone else have this problem?  is there any adjustment for it?

WheelHorse314-8

Added 2 more horses to the stable (for parts) over the weekend.  (AND YES Wheel Horse wheels are offset in the front to accommodate the steering factor.)  

W H.JPG

• Like 1

WheelHorse314-8

Update on my project 314-8.  The deck and engine are complete.  Here are some pictures.  More to come as I paint and re-assemble.  

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WheelHorse314-8
On 12/4/2018 at 11:07 AM, Lane Ranger said:

My $250. 1995 (314-8. Before and after with just a good cleaning!  Plus new tires all the way around!

76ACACC2-DE17-4A58-9291-57C6CAD7281F.jpeg

303C8EC6-FF10-42B6-88BC-3CF3F4C3844C.jpeg

7A209443-A397-4842-85AC-274F4EA426F7.jpeg

What brand of tires did you use?  Where did you get them from?

• Like 1

WheelHorse314-8

ok, so with the exception of some minor odds and ends my frame off restoration is all done!   what do you guys think?  do you like my RED seat ;-)

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

classiccat

Beautiful Job!!  :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

Tell us more about the seat.  Did you use the original seat pan or foam?  Did you find a shop that can refurbish these seats?

fast88pu
On December 3, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Vinylguy said:

Wheel Horse 314-8 newbie was inquiring about decals for his tractor.

Here is what I have so far. Need help with dimensions and spacing to complete the upper dash panel decal.

Started working on the newer models  with Martin a few years ago and have been meaning to get a set listed but somehow forgot about it.

Many of the newer models are no longer so new and will be coming available for restoring in the not so distant future.

1265384580_1999314-8decalkit.jpg.a2e8cb0f6b42e3f6c4c45467f2df1986.jpg1499130779_1999314-8UPPERDASHPLATEDECALDESIGN.jpg.b40246e5c8e78c92ae063fc3831eed9f.jpg

Do you still need terry? 

WheelHorse314-8
2 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

Do you still need terry? 

Who do you think made all those AWESOME looking decals on my tractor?  :-P

• Like 2

WheelHorse314-8
15 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Tell us more about the seat.  Did you use the original seat pan or foam?  Did you find a shop that can refurbish these seats?

Original seat pan.  Original foam with some extra added.  I buddy of mine who does upholstery work re-covered it for me.  He does excellent work!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

love the seat, it fits very well ,along with all of your other mods, like the deep dish steering wheel, more leg room .for what that cost you and your own work that was a  terrific buy. like the way you have been adapting as you go , making it truly your own , great job , pete  

WheelHorse314-8
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

love the seat, it fits very well ,along with all of your other mods, like the deep dish steering wheel, more leg room .for what that cost you and your own work that was a  terrific buy. like the way you have been adapting as you go , making it truly your own , great job , pete  

Thanks.  Everything is factory that I know of with the exception of the seat cover and I changed the front wheels from 6in to 8in.  

Pullstart

What a pice of work!  It looks pretty sweet, you should be proud!

• Thanks 1