rdeanrj58

Voltage regulator adjustable?

rdeanrj58

So I put a used VR on my S/G 867.   With my meter hooked to battery it shows 12.5 with engine off.   When running at less than half throttle it shows 17.   I feel that is too high.      Is there a way to adjust regulator?      I tried playing with the adjustment screws on the points but it made no difference 

• Like 1

slammer302

If it's the old starter generator style the voltage regulator has adjustment screw somewhere inside.

• Confused 1

953 nut

The starter/generator section of this manual gives a lot of information on the regulator, hope this is helpful.

rdeanrj58

Yes thanks 953 nut .  That looks very helpful.  I will dig into it tomorrow evening 

• Thanks 1

Sarge

Make absolutely certain you have clean grounds in the whole system, especially between the engine/frame/battery/starter-gen. Without them, the regulator cannot properly react to the system voltage from the battery and can shoot the charging voltage too high - cooking the battery. It's the same issue with the later stator systems, they have to be able to correctly read the battery voltage. Adjusting the regulator cutoff voltage setting for a starter-gen can get a bit complicated - but it could be from someone filing the contacts as well in the past.

Sarge

• Like 1

rdeanrj58

Well I checked out everything it said in the manual to the best of my ability.  And checked the ground connections.  Still the same thing.  Putting out 17 volts 

• Sad 1

953 nut

:text-imsorry:            Guess it is time to buy a new VR.

rdeanrj58

Guess so.  Know any sources for these 4 terminal regulators? Besides eBay 

rdeanrj58

Thanks 

pfrederi

You can use a 3 terminal regulator just as well...They are usually cheaper/  more available. 

• Like 1

rdeanrj58

Does a 3 terminal actually work?   I bought a tractor once that had a 3 terminal and it wasn't charging.   I thought it was because it had the wrong regulator 

pfrederi
15 hours ago, rdeanrj58 said:

Does a 3 terminal actually work?   I bought a tractor once that had a 3 terminal and it wasn't charging.   I thought it was because it had the wrong regulator 

Three terminal ones work just fine. Put one on my friends 856.