clueless

Hydro trans fluid?

clueless

Earlier this week I I finally got my most desired WH, a 1977 C-160 auto :happy-partydance:, pictures will be forthwith, just need to get my wife's phone, my flip phone pics are not that good. After checking the fluids everything looked good, the trans fluid was barely visible at the end of the stick but it looks red-ish. I'm going to change it and put a new filter on, if it turns out to be trans fluid, what type and how much. At the local auto parts I counted six different type trans fluid, I'm sure half of those weren't around in 1977 :snooty:.  

• Like 3

pfrederi

Dexron 3  Most places now have a universal atf that is god for both early Dexrons (3 and below) and early Mercons (Ford)

• Like 2

clueless
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Dexron 3  Most places now have a universal atf that is god for both early Dexrons (3 and below) and early Mercons (Ford)

Thanks, next question, I'm going to remove the seat pan and degrease it and rinse it off, is there any way water can get in the trans. I know on the 8 speeds it can get in through the shiftier hole.

953 nut

As long as you don't remove the two bolts that hold the seat/fender riser to the transmission the only place water could get in is the dip stick/filler tube. Put a bag over that with a couple rubber bands and you should be good. The filter is a NAPA 1410.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 2

cleat

Assuming all gaskets and seals are good then the actual vent is the dipstick itself at the end of the dipstick handle.

I have washed all of mine and water never got in.

dip.png.bae60ca7ba5885c24ee7187caf02977d.png

Note: If you have a trans that builds pressure then leaks oil out of seals then this vent may be plugged.

I checked all of mine and at least 2 were plugged.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 4

clueless

Thanks, guys.

lynnmor
19 hours ago, cleat said:

Assuming all gaskets and seals are good then the actual vent is the dipstick itself at the end of the dipstick handle.

Note: If you have a trans that builds pressure then leaks oil out of seals then this vent may be plugged.

Cleat

I checked all 3 of mine today and 1 was open, 1 was pinched shut at the end (looks like a factory error), and 1 was plugged with debris.  Good information about that being a vent, never knew that, thanks.

• Like 2

cleat

Wheel Horse does not mention this anywhere.

I only found out after looking for a vent.

I knew there had to be one somewhere and it was actually by accident that I pulled a dipstick and a light went on after I blew through one that was clear to begin with.

Cleat

CraigArndt
On 12/2/2018 at 4:01 PM, cleat said:

Cleat

I had no idea that was a vent.  I need to check mine if the 520H has one.

Edited by CraigArndt

squonk

A 77 C-160 should have motor oil in the trans unless someone previous did some swapping.