Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth R Cluley

Belt guide

Kenneth R Cluley

Was having issue with belt sliding off idler pulley parking brake of my 69 Charger 12. The pulley rotated fine but had some radial "slop" and the linkage is a little sloppy also so sometimes the belt would slip off outside of idler and jam in between guard and pulley. Usually right in middle of task at hand. I'm getting pretty good at removing guard.It would also not engage belt correctly and was fraying inside edge of belt. Finally had enough and replaced pulley, wanted to move back fan/pulley in a little to help alignment but it was extremely happy right where it was. I thought about adding a sheet metal spacer similar to ones found inside existing guard to maintain belt but decided to fab this roller. Took 1/2" PEX tubing and placed over 5/16" bolt with 1" angle iron ends. Double locked nuts on bolt. Threaded other portion of angle and located in proper place for retention of belt. So far so good.  Some may see this as "Blasphemy" and hopefully when I'm gone some young enthusiast will look at this and say "Can't believe what PO did to this WH."

IMG_0694[1].JPG

IMG_0692[1].JPG

IMG_0691[1].JPG

IMG_0693[1].JPG

• Like 5

Sarge

Part of what is causing that problem is wear in the pivot point on that linkage where it goes through the frame - see if the holes are egged out. It's also common for the sliding portion of the arm to be severely worn on these models that use that type of belt engagement/brake linkage. I've had to weld up or make new arms to repair several of these. Once restored to the original shape of the design, they work great and keep the belt properly lined up to the other pulleys.

Sarge

• Like 3

Kenneth R Cluley

I saw that wear and was thinking same thing but at the moment don't have time for removal and repair.  Slide area is definitely worn away. Thanks for comment and reply.