Dan693

K Series Twin Side Case Removal

Dan693

I'm disassembling a K-482 twin and having a little trouble getting the side case off. Its the pulley side with the stub sticking out for the clutch to pivot on.

Seems like only a seal is holding the side case on so it should come right off but nooooo.

I even lightly used a 3 jaw puller but no luck. There must be something in the engine thats keeping it from being removed.

Don't want to force it and break something.

Any ideas?

Sarge

Got the twin cylinder engine manual? It should show the procedure for pulling that case cover off...

Sarge

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pacer

IIRC ... and thats pretty fuzzy! I think the big main crankshaft bearing is what holds it, not a press fit, but is snug. Gentle 'rocking' on either side with 2 screw drivers or similar an it should 'creep' off.

Dan693

Just as I suspected......a big C-clip behind the side cover seal holding the cover on. Nothing about that in the service manual that I saw.

3 jaw puller finally broke the C-clip. Its a miracle the side cover didnt shatter and still may have a warped side cover.

The only way to do it that I can see is drill out and remove the seal from the outside to expose the C-clip????

I must have the wrong service manual for the K series twins.

Who knows.......

• Like 1

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Dan693 said:

Just as I suspected......a big C-clip behind the side cover seal holding the cover on. Nothing about that in the service manual that I saw.

3 jaw puller finally broke the C-clip. Its a miracle the side cover didnt shatter and still may have a warped side cover.

The only way to do it that I can see is drill out and remove the seal from the outside to expose the C-clip????

I must have the wrong service manual for the K series twins.

Who knows.......

Thanks for passing this tip along to us.                    :text-bravo:

• Like 1

Sarge

I know somewhere in Kohler's engine manuals I've seen that clip behind the oil seal, now that you mention it. I think it's in my paper copy, I'll have to see if I can dig up that book and read through it. Was going to do that, but had to deal with a buyer coming to get my old friend The AntiChrist ('77 Land Cruiser). Might take a day to find that manual, been moving a lot of things around to dig up all the extra parts that went with the truck...

Sarge

gwest_ca

Found this

Garry

K482 SM Front cover and snap rings SS.jpg