ebinmaine

1267 ate a drive belt. Help with reasons?

Lee1977

Now you can move on to the other two. At the rate you have been buying them you might be three or four behind. :ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Now you can move on to the other two. At the rate you have been buying them you might be three or four behind. :ychain:

Hahahahahaha.....

You're actually just about right.

Let's put a timeline here.

First horse. B80. Maybe 2-1/2 years ago.

2. C160. 1 year ago. That's the cinnamon project we've been on for nearly that whole year.

3. Trina's 657. June '18.

4,5,6,7,8... Auction stuff.

Baby "farm tractor" roller, (for sale)

Handbuilt Green (Deere?) Model, (No idea what I'm doing with this yet but Could Not let it go to scrap)

1267 likely to stay here

C100

C81

Those will be combined to make one and given to a friend of mine.

9. '73 12 roller project (parts rig)

10. 867

I suppose I should also mention we have enough parts in the pile NOT counting above list to build at least one more Franken horse.....

We do NOT have a problem....

:ROTF:

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Sparky said:

About time.....

Just kidding :lol:

Its always nice to get a problem fixed and behind ya.

Both of us love the challenge of figuring things out.

I thought about dropping this one and going back to it in the spring but it just kept bugging me.

The linkage is definitely not original so that was a serious hindrance.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I may have mostly solved it.

Thank you to those who have made suggestions and seen what was really on this tractor so I could compensate for it.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Sparky

Great video!

I could watch WH videos alllllllll day :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, Sparky said:

Great video!

I could watch WH videos alllllllll day :rolleyes:

:text-yeahthat:       I think all of us fall into that category!            :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:       I think all of us fall into that category!            :handgestures-thumbupright:

It's true. YouTube is an incredible wormhole for me at least !!!!

squonk

I'm curious what belts you were using. A 4L Belt should be the same no matter who made it. Were you trying an "A" series belt first? 

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'm curious what belts you were using. A 4L Belt should be the same no matter who made it. Were you trying an "A" series belt first? 

Yep.

Before we figured out the tractor had been modified  with a later style transmission (and the wrong brake pull rod and a junk spring).. I had installed a direct replacement belt. Actually 2. I had a Stens here that was the victim in the original post. I then bought a Dayco to replace it and those two were very similar if not exactly the same.

After all the rigermorole and shananigans followed by some @#$&+*$#@...

I replaced all 3 pulleys with 5L series and went to a Tractor Supply belt.

Nearly got it.

I had a Gates belt of a longer length on the shelf and noticed it was just a tiny bit narrower even though it's marked wider !!

While I agree the belt SHOULD be the same... 

From the labels:

TS size: 5/8" x 77"

Gates size: 21/32" x 77"

Actual slide rule measurements:

TS size: varied from 21 to 23/32"

Gates size: 5/8" 

Note that neither one actually measured true.

The Gates was just narrow enough to run a little deeper into the pulley groove thus giving a shorter drive length.

squonk

What were the part #'s of the belts and do you know who made the TSC belt?  A 5/8' belt could be a B series  or 5L. The difference is in the side profile. Just trying to figure out why the Gates belt is narrower. I'm thinking the TSC was a B and the Gates was a 5L. Gates guarantees it belts to be .0000000............. in tolerance to the stated size.

ebinmaine

Not sure about the TS. I'll check them post later.

The Gates is a 6977.

I wasn't aware of the difference between a 5L and a B.

Good info there.

Thank you.

Sarge

The problem you're running into with those belts is the profile angle - none of the major brands are the same and there is always slight variances in that angle. Not true with original equipment belts from WH - they were very consistent. Toro has kept them pretty good with the newer replacements, but not totally perfect. On later model tractors such as the C-series, those seem to be a lot more forgiving on the belt angle, not the case with the mid/late 60's tractors. My 1277 was a real bugger to get the trans belt right - until I found a NOS WH belt, which fit like a glove and has been on it since. The originally specified profile was an HA type belt, those are not really made anymore and on 60's tractors can be a real problem making them fit correctly. I have had aftermarket belts actually tear up the engine pulley from the belt not contacting the pulley angle correctly - had to weld up and re-profile it back to original, works perfectly now. One brand I've found that actually fits the HA profile very well is Q-Power, but they are sometimes not too easy to find - an ag supplier in Kansas does seem to stock every size available and prices are reasonable.

Sarge

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 12/30/2018 at 7:32 AM, squonk said:

What were the part #'s of the belts and do you know who made the TSC belt?  A 5/8' belt could be a B series  or 5L. The difference is in the side profile. Just trying to figure out why the Gates belt is narrower. I'm thinking the TSC was a B and the Gates was a 5L. Gates guarantees it belts to be .0000000............. in tolerance to the stated size.

Mike here's a picture of the label from the TSC belt

IMG_20181231_100714267.jpg.ad4f13ed5010014ee10af2239cffa831.jpg