ZXT

Look what followed me home!

Razorback

They definitely look better on your trailer and in the bed of your truck! I think you made a great deal!

• Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Razorback said:

They definitely look better on your trailer and in the bed of your truck! I think you made a great deal!

Agreed

The way I look at it is if the separated  parts are worth what I paid for the whole then I'll be ok.

You nearly bought 2 mowers and got 2 free Tractors at that price.

Well done.

• Like 3

rjg854

From the pictures they look like fine tractors, I paid more for my 16 Auto than you did for both tractors, As long as you can get them both running I think you made a good deal.:-D

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:              Sounds like you and your friend did very well!        :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

ZXT

Thanks guys!

I sent a few pictures to my buddy and he seems pleased with the c160.

I have noticed a few things on the c120. It has an electric PTO switch, but a manual PTO. Also has a push button for the starter in addition to the factory ignition switch, but it works.

I've read up some and people seem to say that the Tecumseh's are OK. Its too bad that you cant use a vertical shaft Kohler in a horizontal application, because I think I have a few of those around..

Here's the picture of the starter that I forgot to include last night. 

IMG_3848.JPG

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Tecumseh's are OK

Basically what it comes down to is that those have a love-hate relationship.

There a perfectly fine and good running and Torquey engine while they're going okay.

if the ignition system stops working it is often less expensive to get another used engine than it is to fix the ignition system.

If it's running and doing okay... Leave it in there.

• Like 1

ZXT
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Basically what it comes down to is that those have a love-hate relationship.

There a perfectly fine and good running and Torquey engine while they're going okay.

if the ignition system stops working it is often less expensive to get another used engine than it is to fix the ignition system.

If it's running and doing okay... Leave it in there.

I'll have to do some research on their ignition system. You'd think it would just be typical points, condenser and coil..

Edited by ZXT

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

I'll have to do some research on their ignition system. You'd think it would just be typical points, condenser and coil..

It is on some of them and on others it is an electronic ignition.

Kohler engines are far easier to work on when replacing parts. Also, the teckeys can be very finicky to get the timing right when you go to put it back together and you have to disassemble more of the engine to reset the timing than you do on a Kohler.

• Like 1

ZXT
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

It is on some of them and on others it is an electronic ignition.

Kohler engines are far easier to work on when replacing parts. Also, the teckeys can be very finicky to get the timing right when you go to put it back together and you have to disassemble more of the engine to reset the timing than you do on a Kohler.

Ah, I see. 

When I was younger I messed around with mowers and small engines for fun... I always remember the Teckey's being a pain to do anything on compared to B&S engines. Never ran as well as I thought they should either.. That's where most of my bias against them comes from. 

Maybe this one will prove me wrong!

oliver2-44

Considering your here in Texas, were you wearing a mask. :ph34r: You just about stole them. Great score, you will like the hydro and the C series are beast of a worker. 

• Haha 2

jebbear

Great Catch!! :handgestures-thumbup: You did well.

• Like 1

ZXT
11 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Considering your here in Texas, were you wearing a mask. :ph34r: You just about stole them. Great score, you will like the hydro and the C series are beast of a worker. 

Haha! I called on them Thursday of last week, and told the guy I couldn't get there until Wednesday. He said he'd hold them until then, but I figured someone would offer more and wind up with them. Luckily that didn't happen! The only other one that I've seen for sale in Texas is further east, a C-111 with a blown up 11HP B&S and manual trans for $300. Figured this was better. Bought them from Don at D&D Tractor in Princeton. Very nice and helpful guy.

Thanks! My dad hasa c141 and it's a great tractor. If this one performs anything like it does, I will be pleased.

Edited by ZXT

ZXT

Well, I got both of them running!

The batteries were put on 4 months ago and they haven't been run since. They were a tad bit low so i put them on the charger to bring them back up. Before I tried starting them, I rolled both of them through by hand. Tecumseh had amazing compression. Kohler had very little. The muffler was installed by someone who wasn't very bright. They pointed it up wards where it would catch water! :angry-banghead: Exhaust valve was sticky. Poured some oil down the cylinder and got some on the valves. Once they freed up, it had great compression. 

The Kohler fired right up with the gas that was in it. After adjusting the carb a bit, I had it running and idling good. Hydro is very strong and he mower deck seems to be in great functional condition. Initially when checking the oil, it looked brand new. After running it for a minute, it was milky. Can't imagine why. Oil will be changed before it is run any more. Oil in the trans looks fresh.

The Tecumseh took a little more to get to start, but once it did, it ran great. Not one hint of smoke ever. Trans oil was a bit low, but looked fresh. Topped it off and it should be good to go. It could stand to have new axle seals. The trans on the C160 seemed stronger, in the sense that the tractor seemed a bit faster. Might be that they have different units. It pulls hills without issue. 

Overall, I'm very pleased! I'm especially pleased with the Tecumseh. If it continues to run as good as it does, it can stay put. I did however buy a K321 from my neighbor to build; it needs a piston and rod. I'll have to research whether or not the crank is the same size since it came off of a John Deere 214. I know CC's have cranks that are different size than WH's, but I'm not sure about JD's.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, ZXT said:

Initially when checking the oil, it looked brand new. After running it for a minute, it was milky. Can't imagine why. Oil will be changed 

I'm going to theorize that the water running down from the upside down muffler is the culprit.

When you checked the oil initially you would have not seen water on the stick because it was sitting in the bottom of the pan below the oil.

Start the engine, mix things up.... Milk.

• Like 1

ZXT

Whoops, my sarcasm didn't translate well through the text. 

Thanks!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Whoops, my sarcasm didn't translate well through the text. 

Thanks!

Should have seen what happened on the 1267 yesterday.

I had left it outside with a can on the stack and the can blew off in the middle of a rainstorm.... So I drained out the oil and checked the level and started it up.

It was blowing water out the exhaust like a fountain!

Apparently it had settled into the muffler but not going down into the engine.

It has occurred to me that maybe the exhaust valve was closed so there was no water going down into the engine so I'm going to probably repeat the procedure of draining the oil.

• Like 1

ZXT

Well, if anything, that tells you that your exhaust valve seals good! Probably ran water into your new oil right when you started it. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Well, if anything, that tells you that your exhaust valve seals good! Probably ran water into your new oil right when you started it. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.......

• Like 1

Tankman

Excellent! Two Stallions!  You two made out great!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Two Horses moving to excellent homes too!