SamH

81 C-175 motor swap/repower

SamH

Well, just blew up the motor on my C-175. Glad I didn't get rid of it to just have it go out on someone else... 2042 hours, so she lasted a long time but sure wish she'd have gone longer lol. Especially considering I just did a bunch of work to get everything ready for winter. Series I Kt17. what do you think guys, should i try to find a series II and put it on or repower with new? Anything out there besides the predator, and is it worth it if there is? Thanks guys.

• Sad 1

Achto

I think that a series II or an 18hp Magnum would be a great choice!! Another good choice would be a Briggs 18hp Vangaurd. Don't be afraid of the Predator though they are a good engine with a price that is hard to beat. If you can not find an engine that has a thrust bearing on the PTO shaft you will have to switch to an electric clutch.

• Like 2

roadapples

16..k341

• Like 1

953 nut

When considering a replacement keep in mind that a vertical shaft Kohler Twin can become  horizontal twin by replacing the oil pump, dip stick and a few other parts. Or, the jugs, pistons, rods, heads etc from the vertical could be used to get your series one a new lease on life.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

SamH

Gonna roll with the predator. Picking it up now. 

• Like 3

SamH

Ironically, tomorrow the order for my pto parts from Jack's small engine will be here, but now I need an electric clutch. Such is life. I'll be taking pictures and posting progress as I can. Looking at previous user's posts it looks like it should go pretty smooth. 

• Like 1

SamH

Excited to be able to use it on hills, I was limited to only part of the yard previously.

• Like 1

ZXT

What Predator did you wind up going with? Having the extra power would be nice, but the one thing holding me back from those is that I don't think it'd look correct.

SamH
35 minutes ago, ZXT said:

What Predator did you wind up going with? Having the extra power would be nice, but the one thing holding me back from those is that I don't think it'd look correct.

i got the 22hp. it certainly looks different, but dimension-wise isn't too far off from the kt17. Fills the space nicely. Will need to cut hood or modify exhaust though. 

• Like 1

SamH

While trying to pull the drive pulley it broke, so i guess that I'm just going to buy a new one with 1" bore and 1" electric pto. Any suggestions on if I should modify pulley size or keep original? Closest I've found so far is a 4.75 OD pulley, which I figure would maybe offset a little of the extra power to where I don't feel like i need to run at half throttle.

953 nut

When shopping for an electric PTO with one inch bore you may want to look at Sears Craftsman and other brands, prices for parts that will work just fine are a lot less than for :wh:. Being a Hydro the engine pulley should be kept about the same as your original one so the hydro pump fan speed will be the same.

SamH

This is what I decided to go with for electric pto: http://a.co/d/7exnOnr and drive pulley: https://phoenix-mfg.com/HustlerBigDog-602842-V-Groove-Drive-Pulley--5-Dia--1-Bore--Steel_p_1388.html#.W_ialwzHfW0.link. Pretty close to original size, and with the predator's higher max rpm i figure it should keep performance pretty consistent. I've got the motor mounts welded on and engine clamped relatively in place and hooked it up just to see how it ran, was difficult to get to start initially, had to find a new hose clamp for my fuel line and cut the end back cuz it was sucking air. After that, fired up ok but has been surging pretty good, seems to be smoothing out and i imagine once i get through the break-in period it'll be a non issue. overall sounds pretty nice. Will need to run a new fuel line to be able to route properly. Once I get the drive pulley in I'll get motor aligned and drill my bolt holes. Haven't decided yet if I'll do through bolts or run a tap, and not sure on if I'll do any anti vibration, it runs pretty smooth. Pics are on the cell, I'll get em uploaded at some point. overall it's gonna be a pretty easy swap it seems. with the coupon they used at the store I got the motor for 620, and bought the 2 yr replacement plan as well. Big thanks to my old man for financing a good portion of the project, he's just about as excited as I am I think.

• Excellent 2

SamH

20181123_194400.jpg

20181123_095446.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

SamH

Here's what I decided to do for the hood in order to clear the muffler.  Plan will be to eventually have a local shop fab up what's missing, but thinking about leaving a cutout to be able to run a straight pipe up to turn the exhaust. I'll just turn it out for now. The way the muffler is turned up doesn't allow me to just rotate it, no clearance. I think it'll look pretty good eventually.

20181124_180933.jpg

20181124_181021.jpg

20181124_181347.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 1

WildmanC120

I just did this swap on a c-161 that had the twin Briggs on it.  Wish I saw this thread earlier I could have saved you not cutting up your hood etc.  

Best thing to do is get the $24 adapter to run 1-1/8th in drive pulley and get another real WH one.  That will also make it easy to just get a WH electric clutch.  

As for exhaust you could have just removed that big muffler and there is a guy on eBay that sells new flanges with pipe thread on them so you can just make new exhaust with 1" pipe.  The adapters would be $50 for the pair.  

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120

Another thing to note.  Keeping that stock muffler if you use a snowsnower will interfear with the lever to adjust the chute.  

• Like 2

WildmanC120

Another thing to note.  Keeping that stock muffler if you use a snowsnower will interfear with the lever to adjust the chute.  

image-20181108_171427.jpg

DennisThornton
On 11/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, 953 nut said:

When considering a replacement keep in mind that a vertical shaft Kohler Twin can become  horizontal twin by replacing the oil pump, dip stick and a few other parts. Or, the jugs, pistons, rods, heads etc from the vertical could be used to get your series one a new lease on life.

I'm shocked!  Had no idea! 

Really? 

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

I noticed that on the vertical shaft doaner engine I used to repair my 418 I still may use that block to  rebuild it 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I had no idea that the oil pumps would swap!  Totally surprised that the blocks could be used rotated!