Vinylguy

VINYLGUY'S 857 PROJECT

ebinmaine

Terry if you're looking for a decent reproduction switch I can get you a standard part number when I get home

There are also Cole hersee switches that are of good quality.

That tractor looks and sounds fantastic sir

• Thanks 1

Vinylguy

Thanks Eric

Hopefully we will have the muffler fabricated next week.

It seems to rev higher than my commando 8 did?

• Excellent 1

WHX??

That girl definitely sounds to running fast Terry, Don't suppose there's a tach in the shop?

Check your spring settings on the gov. Also check the high end throttle stop... lemme go get a pic of that.

20161009_120453.jpg

See if you have something like this.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Thanks Eric

Hopefully we will have the muffler fabricated next week.

It seems to rev higher than my commando 8 did?

I agree with Jim. Definitely sounds like that thing is cooking right along.

WHX??

Don't go by how mine is adjusted this was a teardown pic. It should be in the one to two o'clock position so the link arm hits it at wot. The spring settings shown are what most of mine are set. Might want to check the guv shaft adjustment on the throttle arm. There is a specific way to adjust it and in the manual. Let us know you need help with that.  

19richie66

I don’t know what’s more impressive.... the tractor or the size of that garage. Looks like a nice, long bay. Very nice on the decals Terry

• Like 2

Vinylguy
9 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Don't go by how mine is adjusted this was a teardown pic. It should be in the one to two o'clock position so the link arm hits it at wot. The spring settings shown are what most of mine are set. Might want to check the guv shaft adjustment on the throttle arm. There is a specific way to adjust it and in the manual. Let us know you need help with that.  

932887924_k1811.jpg.89df17bb38a6cfad50948a5d060072d5.jpg1973546888_k1812.jpg.cf394958adcf612027d2f7164e56029d.jpg657349905_k1813.jpg.ed976740c87463536b95ec43eb257cd9.jpg

WHX??
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Looks like a nice, long bay

Didn't notice Ritchie too busy eyeballin the fridge fer a cold one! :laughing-rolling: Not that you mention it tho would be a nice indoor archery range! :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vinylguy

I'll have to post some pics of the Posseville bar.

This place was a Pontiac garage back in the 50's and 60's

20190125_162417.jpg.5cd1f6a86b38498a08344752cf721cf3.jpg

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 4

WHX??

Lol

Never mind my pics that was a 10 hp I forgot your an eight. That's not right at all Terry you have a guv setup ala k9I or 141. The throttle wire should be hooked to the one of the holes in the circular ring behind the arm. That circular ring should free float behind the arm but be linked to the arm with a spring setting in the notch where the cable is now. You motor is not being guved at all like that. That will be no good for mowing.

20180506_103652.jpg

The bracket that clamps the cable can be adjusted for an over top cable routing.

Edited by WHX21

Vinylguy
7 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Lol

Never mind my pics that was a 10 hp I forgot your an eight. That's not right at all Terry you have a guv setup ala k9I or 141. The throttle wire should be hooked to the one of the holes in the circular ring behind the arm. That circular ring should free float behind the arm but be linked to the arm with a spring setting in the notch where the cable is now. You motor is not being guved at all like that. That will be no good for mowing.

Well that makes perfect sense. Whoever put this k181 in did not know what they were doing. probably why they sold it as a non runner.

Vinylguy

20190125_162152.jpg.55b75d56120ac0aad705c33826baabb8.jpg20190125_161812.jpg

20190125_161953.jpg

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

WHX??
Just now, Vinylguy said:

did not know what they were doing

I tell ya some POs :rolleyes:

I would take the whole thing apart, clean thing off and put it back together right per manual use your shout out ya need help!

WHX??

Wow nice man cave! like the HD thing!

• Like 2

Vinylguy
2 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I tell ya some POs :rolleyes:

I would take the whole thing apart, clean thing off and put it back together right per manual use your shout out ya need help!

Hopefully someone will post a picture of the correct setup so I can see any missing springs or parts

Vinylguy

Gary bought the building 11 years ago for his business. He is a Harley man so when we decided to build a bar

it had to represent. We had our sign shop here for about 6 years till we retired. 

Here is a picture of the powder coat room.

20190125_162152.jpg.9cce5d6e8723f8ed528f225353628beb.jpg

20190125_161736.jpg

20190125_162021.jpg

20190125_162000.jpg

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6

ztnoo
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It will be a few months before we get to this one but I'll try to remember this post.

Eric or @ebinmaine,

You don't have to try to "remember" the thread.

Just choose to follow it near the upper right of the page, and you will be notified of any new entries, and you can review followed threads and posts therein.

Comprendo???

Edited by ztnoo
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

received_2228560190720051.jpeg

received_424748938059132.jpeg

received_332386010930277.jpeg

received_2165623366985165.jpeg

Hope this helps

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

WHX??

Thanks Tom... Nice to have a place like that to hangout in. What better place to have a man cave than a ex car dealer garage!

• Like 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

Got the decals installed and when I turned the key the new replacement switch broke. 

Must be some really thin cheap pot metal inside the reproduction switches?

So removed tank and put the original switch back in. This video is the first ride on my 857

Woah there, Silver!

• Haha 1

WHX??

BTW Terry did you replace the original switch? If so with what so we know to not buy those. Yes you are our guinea pig!:ychain:

If you are running the 70 amp style 3 term one there is a member here that has some nice ones. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Eric or @ebinmaine,

You don't have to try to "remember" the thread.

Just choose to follow it near the upper right of the page, and you will be notified of any new entries, and you can review followed threads and posts therein.

Comprendo???

Oh yeah.

I know.

I follow the threads I want to keep up with.... 

Thanks!

Vinylguy
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

BTW Terry did you replace the original switch? If so with what so we know to not buy those. Yes you are our guinea pig!:ychain:

If you are running the 70 amp style 3 term one there is a member here that has some nice ones. 

PM sent

Vinylguy
2 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Yes it is the 3 terminal switch.

Thanks