Scooter1964

Wont turn over

Scooter1964

I need some help.  I have what looks close to a 656 with a 8hp k241.  I bought it 6 mos ago from a guy that rebuilt it.  It was running and was parked, went out to start it and it won't even turn over.  I cleaned the battery terminals and in doing so I found that the solenoid came loose and was laying on the frame. I re-attached it and the battery and still it won't turn over.  When I tried to start it, nothing happened and smoke started coming from the coil.  Upon further investigation, the coil was cracked and the points were completely fried.  Where do I even start?  The battery is good. Thanks!

KC9KAS

You will need to replace the coil and the points. If it ran before, it should start and run again after replacing these items and properly adjusting the points.

Was the key left on causing the points to "fry"?

Oh, @Scooter1964 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

953 nut

:WRS:

@KC9KAS has pretty well covered the solution to your problem. The points adjustment is very important because it also sets your ignition timing. Here is information on proper points/timing setting.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

You will need to replace the coil and the points. If it ran before, it should start and run again after replacing these items and properly adjusting the points.

Was the key left on causing the points to "fry"?

Oh, @Scooter1964 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

:text-yeahthat:this is usually an easy fix make sure too all your grounds are tight!:text-welcomeconfetti::wwp:

jay bee

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :text-welcomeconfetti:  Not sure what engine you have there...a K241 is a 10 hsp...   The 8 hsp Kohler is a K181.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Scooter1964

Thanks so much everybody.  Your input is appreciated.  Yes, it's 10hp, my other is 8.  Replaced points and coil still does not turn over.   I will go back through when I get time later in the week and make sure the grounds are tight.  With three teens the schedule gets tight.