Sign in to follow this  
slufoot733

D200 transmission oil change

slufoot733

Just did my annual oil service on my '78 D200. Manual calls for 6 quarts of 30 weight motor oil for the transmission. I drained the tranny but only got about 4 - 4.5 quarts of old oil out of it. Manual did say that not all the oil would drain out but I figured most of it would. I installed the new filter and refilled the tranny. Drove the tractor around the yard for a while, cycled the hydraulics several times and then checked the level. It was down a little bit but not much. Also looked nice and clean (considering there may have been 1.5 quarts of old oil still in there). Does this sound about normal? All seems well right now and I will keep an eye on the oil level. (I just can't recall how much drained out last year, or if I even noticed. This gett'n old stuff sucks :) )

Did the engine at the same time....all that oil drained out fine. 

pfrederi

That would be a normal amount you need to add.  The oil should be pretty clean as there is no combustion residue.  Incidentally it calls for 10w-30 not straight 30w

• Thanks 1

Marv
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

That would be a normal amount you need to add.  The oil should be pretty clean as there is no combustion residue.  Incidentally it calls for 10w-30 not straight 30w

:text-yeahthat:

slufoot733

Thanks guys. Ironically, I did use 10W30, just failed to state that properly.  

And thanks for the reply. I figured it was OK but just picking your brains for more info. Tractor runs pretty good. I use it for snow clearing in the winter. 

• Like 2